Anyone else with Windows 7 have an issue with viewing NEF?

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
I've downloaded every free codec pack I could find for windows 7 to view NEF files in the explorer window and I am yet to find anything that works. I get no errors, they install fine. But they do nothing.

Anyone else having this issue? I hate not being able to see the thumbnail. Jpeg and Tiff I can view fine. Just not NEF.

I thought mine was working the other day, but realized it is for my D80 but not my D7000.

I can't view NEF in windows. Do you have the CD that came with your camera?

I downloaded the microsoft CODEC for RAW support, and my D80 now shows NEF previews in windows folders, but only for my D80 NOT my D7000.

This is the pack that most people have success with, but be warned that if your camera is NOT on the list it may not work. In my case the D3000 is shown and not the D3100 and I can confirm that it will not work with the D3100. There also may be issues between 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.

Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Microsoft Camera Codec Pack

Good luck!

I have ViewNX2, Photoshop/Bridge CS5 etc... but I want to be able to view it in explorer. Some people claim they do this.

This is the pack that most people have success with, but be warned that if your camera is NOT on the list it may not work. In my case the D3000 is shown and not the D3100 and I can confirm that it will not work with the D3100. There also may be issues between 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.

Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Microsoft Camera Codec Pack

Good luck!

Yeah, unfortunately this was the first of many that I have installed with no luck. Thank you though.

Every (well almost every) camera has a different internal format. That codec doesn't support the 7000.

Bruce

Probably why my D7000 isn't on the MS list of compatible cams
bigthumb.gif

Most reactions

Back