Anyone ever shot a memorial service or funeral.

I guess it's not really for me to judge, but I can't imagine for the life of me why anyone would want photos, let alone a video of a funeral. It takes all sorts to make a world I guess

My dad is 84 and not in the best of health. I know we are going to be mourning his loss at his funeral, but I don't want that to be the only reason everyone is gathered together. I want the event to be as much a celebration of the fact that he lived as it is a regret that he no longer does so.

My moms a mortician, and from going to work with her over the years and helping her out, basically it involves a lot of patience and respect towards whomever is requesting the pictures, if you can just ask them before the ceremony "Is there anything important you want me to focus on photographing" And than you'll get an idea on what it is they want.
Hope I could help

Since I support a large group of grieving parents, unfortunately I attend a lot of funerals. Not the best thing to have on your resume, but it is what it is. I had just started using my camera when I took photos at a friend's funeral. I captured four aspects. The butterfly release, a mourning family member, the purple bracelet (colors from the society of the illness the child died from), and the casket. See the photo here if you like. I may have to re-edit it now that I have Lightroom.

It's funny this thread was posted because today I'll be attempting to photograph doves being released at a memorial service. I really, really, want to capture a good photo for the family. :(

How did the service go for you? I only ended up with one salvageable shot of the doves that were released. I wanted more but it just didn't happen. :( I got a few other moments as well. Since it was law enforcement related there were 150+ cars in the procession. The funeral was huge...

8_6_11_Brents_Dove.jpg

It wont be until the 20th. I went to his actual viewing this weekend. His dad wanted a family photo with me in it for himself. I was too busy comforting my wifes siblings and too upset myself to take any pictures. The memorial is either next weekend or after that.

Most reactions

Back