Anyone has a Canon Speedlite 220 or 430 EX?

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How do you like it? Pros and cons. Thanks!

I have a 430EX...it's a great unit. It's not quite as good as it's big brother, the 580EX, but it's quite a bit less expensive but still quite capable.

I wouldn't recommend the Speedlite 220, it doesn't tilt or swivel.

Sigma makes several cheaper TTL speed lights that are compatible with Canon's cameras. I've never used them and can't vouch for the quality. I have a 580EX II that I purcashed for times when I absolutely needed an on camera flash. Other than that, my other two flashes are $90 Vivitar manual flashes.

I have the 430 and really like it. Of course, the 580 EX II is on my list, but I won't be getting rid of the 430EX.

I have the 430EX and like it fine. The only thing it lacks feature-wise is you can't use it remotely from the camera itself (but I think you can if you have the 580). Also, as some reviews state, the semi-circular buttons on the back are hard to push.

Is there an alternative, possibly from a different manufacturer than the Canon ones?

Is there an alternative, possibly from a different manufacturer than the Canon ones?

Sigma makes several cheaper TTL speed lights that are compatible with Canon's cameras. I've never used them and can't vouch for the quality. I have a 580EX II that I purcashed for times when I absolutely needed an on camera flash. Other than that, my other two flashes are $90 Vivitar manual flashes.

So it's basically better to jump right up to the 580EX without learning to use the lower models first? I don't have any hotshoe flash btw and only use the built in flash. I'm in the market for my first flash. Cash isn't much of an issue.

So it's basically better to jump right up to the 580EX without learning to use the lower models first? I don't have any hotshoe flash btw and only use the built in flash. I'm in the market for my first flash. Cash isn't much of an issue.

If I were to do it over, I would have bought the 580EX II first. But, at the time money was an issue, so the 430EX sufficed.

Cash isn't much of an issue.

Wow, that must be nice! C'mon, share now...

A guy once told me: "Spend your money while you have it, because when you get older...you won't have any."

The only real advantage you have with the 580EX II is more power unless you're going to buy more than one flash and use the wireless functions. There's other small things, like weather sealing, a metal hotshoe, a pc sync port, and a sturdier build that are going to be appealing.

The 580EX II can be used as a master to fire other Canon speed lights wirelessly. I prefer radio triggers for that though...just my preference. I have a 580EX II and two $90 Vivitar 285HV's. The 580 is my on camera flash, but for off camera lighting I didn't see spending a lot of money for a bunch of features that would be useless to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot

And all you asked was if there was an alternative.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back