Anyone have a rifle scope?

I still don't see why you must use an actual rifle scope to accomplish the effect.....

authenticity.... the only reason.... otherwise I would just slap it together in post...

I'm looking for print sales outta this one and feel these type of people are more likely to buy an authentic print as opposed to a print where I am running around with a tube of toilet paper ....

I am only getting paid $250/day which isn't much considering I must draw vacation time from my day job to be there.... so I gotta make it up in prints...

i'm also curious just to try it as an experiment... it's not really a huge deal... just something for fun...

authenticity.... the only reason.... otherwise I would just slap it together in post...

I'm looking for print sales outta this one and feel these type of people are more likely to buy an authentic print as opposed to a print where I am running around with a tube of toilet paper ....

Ah... so authenticity is taking precedence. Ok .. understand. How about fashioning a digital point and shoot to the end of a scope? Smaller lens that should fit in the eye-piece.

Ah... so authenticity is taking precedence. Ok .. understand. How about fashioning a digital point and shoot to the end of a scope? Smaller lens that should fit in the eye-piece.

seems like a p&s is the way to go... guess i'll be whipping out my sony cybershot for this one... may as well just leave the 5 grand in camera gear i've recently bought back at the hunt camp... lol... a tool for every job i suppose

seems like a p&s is the way to go... guess i'll be whipping out my sony cybershot for this one... may as well just leave the 5 grand in camera gear i've recently bought back at the hunt camp... lol... a tool for every job i suppose
Well you will still need the 5K equipment for the posed shots with their trophy. I never liked trophy hunters much, I hunt to eat. But they generally have money to burn so you should do well on prints and, or, CDs. The great thing with the P&S is it will let you zoom even when mated to a scope. I used to do it with my Coolpix 995 all the time.
LOL

Plants are alive too! Vegans are killers - plain and simple - let us not mince words. ;)

John, ever consider eating rocks? :lol:
:lmao: So true! But I guess the plants dont get a group to protect them.

http://digiscopingukbirds.homestead.com/

Might have some ideas in there for you. Most are spotting scopes though.

I was going to order a spotting scope from my 10 yr anniversary gift at work. I ordered a home theater system instead. What a POS. At least the scope was a brand name and would have been a quality product. I should have went for the scope.

I've not read any replies but here is my input.

I have been hired to shoot at a hunt camp this upcoming deer season. I will be shooting the final two days and there is a 50/50 chance that most tags will be used up sometime during this point. I have an idea for a shot and I'm not sure if it's possible.

I want to to take a shot through a rifle scope of a deer in the cross hairs. I would like some shallow DOF around the perimeter with sharp focus through the scope. Is this even possible? I don't hunt and don't have a rifle scope and was just wondering if anyone has tried anything like this.

I will only be able to do this shot if all the tags are used... I don't think any of the hunters will want to share their scope if they have a good opportunity.

This is a technique called "Digi-scoping" But there is several draw backs.
  • First and foremost; You are not going to be able to accomplish this with yout dSLR with out serious modification/improvision, The scopes viewer is smaller than the filter diameter of any modern lens. Accomplishing this is no different than taking a photo of a camera viewfinder. Your best bet is to use a digital Point and shoot on the closeup setting with the flash off (obviously lol )
  • Second; is steadying the camera and scope, if you think of the scope as what it will be acting as...it's a really long telephoto lens, the difference being that this one does not stick to both a tripod and the camera. This is one aria I have yet to find an answer for :(
  • Third; The scope it self is going to require longer exposures beyond that of consumer level telephotos, If I was to guess it would prolly behave something like a 400mm f/22 as opposed to a 400mm f/5.6. This will amplify the issue with stability

As you can tell, I have been considering doing this for a wile, but I can't seem to get passed the issues.

Additionally, If you know how to intentionally vignet your image you could simulate the scope on your telephoto lens by adding cross hairs infront of the front element with the use of a hood, long hair and some tape :mrgreen:

Battou,

I've done this allot and:
  • You can do this with a dSLR with off-the-shelf parts made just for doing this.
  • It's not dark much at all. A stop maybe in some cases - for me it's always been about the same as if there were no scope at all. Honest.
  • You don't want close focus.. Zoom (probably) all the way in and (probably) focus at infinite - depending. Contrast based AF works fine though.
  • There are adaptors for spotting scopes and telescopes if you're using a 35mm and there are brackets for P&S cameras. http://www.warehouseexpress.com/category/basecategory.aspx?cat03=3046&brand=168 I bought one for a Nikon P&S that works with any round eyepiece from about 2cm ~ 5cm ø. I think I paid $35 for it. It can hold maybe 5 or 6 of my pocketable P&S cameras.

So, there ya go... all your issues addressed. :D

Last edited:
Battou,

I've done this allot and:[*]It's not dark much at all. A stop maybe in some cases - for me it's always been about the same as if there were no scope at all. Honest.

My experience with camera viewfinders begs to differ, but anywho. Being the broke ass that I am, I am stuck having to improvise, but I apprieciate the thought.

Yep. Camera viewfinders are a totally different animal.

Last edited:
lol.... I went away for three days and come back to see this thread still kicking...

as battou and others suggested... i will be trying the shot with my p&s...

thanks

they make good points... i dont know how skilled you are with photoshop.. but you might just want to take a pic of the deer and then add the crosshairs in PP.. like this: (image source : http://www.bwoptic.com/ )

Scopes don't have very good optical quality, so unless you want the distortion and lack of light as a challenge, I agree with photoshop the scope in later. You might be able to just take a shot through a scope, of the open sky, so you have a nice authentic cross-hairs and layer it over the pictures later.

I hate to ruin a good PC rant with someone trying to tell me how to run my personal life according to their arbitrary rules, but I hope I did. :lol: PC people practice a form of censorship, by shouting until everyone leaves the discussion, or it gets locked.

This is the photo forum, not a political agenda soap box. Thank You.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the scope. Cheap ones aren't that great but a good scope has superb optical qualities! Up around $200 and over (you can pay $2,000 for a nice scope!) and you're talking as good or better than most 35mm camera lenses! :thumbup:

I have a Nikon ProStaff and a Leupold VX-III ($200 and $900 respectively) that I like a lot!

Last edited:
I have seen the scopes that someone mentions and in our seach (my father owns a hunting lodge) we haven't been able to find anything, so far, that had a reasonable enough quality picture.

This camera does not have the same magnification as the scope so you will not get as acurate of a picture of what the scope is really seeing.
http://www.bushnell.com/general/vidoescope_73-7000V.cfm

Have fun trying this. Interested to see how the pictures turn out.

Hunting sucks

We use it to put meat on our table. OH always says that "There is room on Gods earth for all creatures, right beside my mashed potatoes" And his other one for this is the word vegetarian really means... "He who can't hunt" ;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back