Anyone have any experience w/ this flash?

mc_hudd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Canon T2i & would love to buy a Canon flash w/ high speed sync capabilities, but they are just way out of my price range. I recently found this one for a decent price & it says it has HSS (the only "generic" flash I can find that says this). Vivitar DF-483-CAN Wireless TTL LCD Flash for Canon DF483CAN B&H

Has anyone ever used this flash? Any opinions on it?

I do not own this flash. I only have a old Canon 420ex (works as manual flash) and some Vivitar 285hv / 283 flashes

Guide number of the flash: 50 at 105mm

Compare:
Vivitar 285hv - 140 at 105mm
Canon 430ex II - 141 at 105mm

So power wise, it seems a little low.

I do not own this flash. I only have a old Canon 420ex (works as manual flash) and some Vivitar 285hv / 283 flashes

Guide number of the flash: 50 at 105mm

Compare:
Vivitar 285hv - 140 at 105mm
Canon 430ex II - 141 at 105mm

So power wise, it seems a little low.

Hmmm, interesting. I just looked, I have a Nissin Di622 & it's power is "...G.No.62(ISO 200) is obtained at the reflector position for 105mm focal length lens, and 45 at 35mm," so this flash is even less than my Nissin. It would be mainly for taking closer portrait style pics though. Do you think it would work for this or should I just hold out for a Canon flash (which may be a long time)?

Then you will need a lot more power than that, or any other, hot shoe mount type flash can provide.

Jeez, your avatar really creeps me out for some reason.

That demo is about fill flash for back lighting, not "For taking pics outside in full sun... to control the ambient light. ", a different aspect of doing strobed light photography.

That demo is about fill flash for back lighting, not "For taking pics outside in full sun... to control the ambient light. ", a different aspect of doing strobed light photography.

Maybe "in full sun" wasn't exactly what I meant, but yes, to control the ambient light is what I meant. I have read up on this & watched many tutorials & even played around with the flash I currently have. I'm not an expert, but I do know what I've read.

None of your replies are really helping me at this point, so I probably won't be replying again. The OP is about experience w/ a flash, if you can't answer my original question, then there is really no need in posting any further. You're simply wasting both of our time.

You don't know enough about what you are wanting to do, to describe it accurately. I'm sorry I can't read your mind, and am wasting your time.

But again, for other members and visitors to TPF, the technique Mark Wallace showed in the video wasn't about controlling the ambient light, it was about using fill flash.

Good luck to you though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back