Anyone here at TPF used/own the Rokinon 24mm f/1.4?

Yes they are all the same manufacture rebadged and subject to the same qc issues. Bower, Samuang, Rokinon but I think Rokinon and Samyang are more common in the US.

Yes they are all the same manufacture rebadged and subject to the same qc issues. Bower, Samuang, Rokinon but I think Rokinon and Samyang are more common in the US.

Well hopefully their new "premium" lenses are a little bit more better and reliable.

FYI, I'm actually thinking of this lens 14/2.4 but I'm not sure if it's an APS-C only lens or not
Samyang announces 14mm f/2.4 and Samyang 85mm f/1.2 “Premium” manual focus lenses | Photo Rumors

I really want to know why Samyang is only going to be making the 85 1.2 for Canon. Why not Nikon?

But yeah..14mm f/2.4 would probably be a pretty decent astrophotography lens.
The last time I was out at a dark site I had to take three 50mm shots stitched together to equal one 18mm shot. So for me the wider the better especially for tall Milky Way shots. And with astro stuff MF lenses are just fine.

FYI, I'm actually thinking of this lens 14/2.4 but I'm not sure if it's an APS-C only lens or not
Samyang announces 14mm f/2.4 and Samyang 85mm f/1.2 “Premium” manual focus lenses | Photo Rumors

I really want to know why Samyang is only going to be making the 85 1.2 for Canon. Why not Nikon?

The last time I was out at a dark site I had to take three 50mm shots stitched together to equal one 18mm shot. So for me the wider the better especially for tall Milky Way shots. And with astro stuff MF lenses are just fine.

I guess we shall see how this new 14 2.4 pans out.

it seems to get good reviews except from other ppl that have higher quality lenses that can do direct comparisons. Such as a Nikon 14-24. But then the price difference you *expect* issues.

it seems to get good reviews except from other ppl that have higher quality lenses that can do direct comparisons. Such as a Nikon 14-24. But then the price difference you *expect* issues.

People already got their hands on it? Didn't it just barely get announced?

found it on B&H .. compatible with FF/APS-C for $329.00
Samyang 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens SY14M-C B&H

fyi, it's apparently the same as the Rokinon 14/2.8.
Actually the lens in the article is the newer version.
the lens at BHPHOTO is the current/old version. So ignore the price and reviews. As the article states it is not yet available .... getting ahead of myself.

found it on B&H .. compatible with FF/APS-C for $329.00
Samyang 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens SY14M-C B&H

fyi, it's apparently the same as the Rokinon 14/2.8.
Actually the lens in the article is the newer version.
the lens at BHPHOTO is the current/old version. So ignore the price and reviews. As the article states it is not yet available .... getting ahead of myself.

They are marketing it has premium, so I expect to see a premium price tag. $600 or more. But we'll see.

Yes but you live in a dark clear area
Then you'll find that 16 is much wider than 24
Give your 16-35 a few months. The stars aren't going to disappear any time soon so you have time to experiment

I've already tried doing these shots with my 24-120 f/4 and I was not happy. I popped my 50 1.8 on and boom..what a difference it made. Lots more details in the milkway and I was able to shoot at a lower ISO.

Isn't 1.4 three stops faster than f/4? I see a pretty dang big difference to me, especially on full frame.

Get out there with that at 16mm!

You should be good your 30 second exposures. What body are you using?

Give your 16-35 a few months. The stars aren't going to disappear any time soon so you have time to experiment

I've already tried doing these shots with my 24-120 f/4 and I was not happy. I popped my 50 1.8 on and boom..what a difference it made. Lots more details in the milkway and I was able to shoot at a lower ISO.

Isn't 1.4 three stops faster than f/4? I see a pretty dang big difference to me, especially on full frame.

D610. But f/4 is too dark even for full frame. I've already tried it and not too happy. My 50 1.8G does astrophotography a lot better.

D610. But f/4 is too dark even for full frame. I've already tried it and not too happy. My 50 1.8G does astrophotography a lot better.
don't forget you can go up to ISO 6400
30 seconds, f/4, ISO 6400

It's not ideal bit I don't think it's to dark.

Nikon Df
28mm f2.8 ais
F2.8
15 seconds
Is 3200
2016-09-14_12-21-44.jpg

The image above isn't at f4 but I easily could have and just bumped the iso up to 4-6400.

You're underestimating your gear.

I'm not saying don't but the 24mm. Just don't underestimate that 16mm. Trust me, you will want really wide sometimes.

Get out and try this.

16mm
30 seconds
IS0 4000-6400

Last edited:

It's not ideal bit I don't think it's to dark.

Nikon Df
28mm f2.8 ais
F2.8
15 seconds
Is 3200
View attachment 127583

The image above isn't at f4 but I easily could have and just bumped the iso up to 4-6400.

You're underestimating your gear.

I'm not saying don't but the 24mm. Just don't underestimate that 16mm. Trust me, you will want really wide sometimes.

Get out and try this.

16mm
30 seconds
IS0 4000-6400

I'll give it a shot...I forgot that I can make the shutter speed slower when shooting very wide. With the 50mm I had to keep the shutter speed around 10 seconds to avoid star trails. So maybe 30 seconds wont be so bad at 16mm. I could pump up the ISO to 6400 and maybe even take a few dark frames and them stack them to remove some of the noise. I haven't done it for a while, but its worth a shot anyways.

These were taken last month with a 16-35 ISO3200 f/4 25sec.

20160801_01-24-48-Edit-L.jpg

20160801_01-33-23-Edit-L.jpg

Link didn't work right.

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4.0G ED VR

Search this group for milky way images and sort by interesting.

If you really want to get into astro then invest in a star tracker. That's my next purchase.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back