Anyone here at TPF used/own the Rokinon 24mm f/1.4?

The Roki 24 is an amazing Astro lens, given you get a sharp copy. As people have mentioned, their quality control is garbage and lots of copies have decentering issues, but with a good copy it's one of the most popular Astro lenses, and best performing. Most people stop down to f2, as the vignetting and sharpness is a bit better than at 1.4. And for those saying try the 16-35 at 30" and f4, I think you'll find star trailing at those exposure times if you zoom in to 100% and look. That old rule of 500 might've been accurate with lower pixel density sensors, but I know with my d750 (also 24mp), at 15mm 20 seconds is pushing it. It's even worse with bodies like the d810 or a7r2. At 30 seconds viewing at 100%, the trailing is very noticeable. If you're just sharing online, no big deal, but with prints you'll definitely see trailing. Honestly if you just googled rokinon 24mm astro, you would've found tons of reviews and articles about how great is is.

D610. But f/4 is too dark even for full frame. I've already tried it and not too happy. My 50 1.8G does astrophotography a lot better.

Did you turn off the VR? ;)

That's why I picked up the 15-30. The big downside is filters (huge downside honestly).

I would suggest you play around with the 16-35 VR for astrophotography anyways. You might find 24mm is the perfect focal length, or you might end up actually wanting something wider (20mm). I think ISO 6400 and f4 can work in certain locations. A big part is how you deal with the file in Lightroom afterward.

D610. But f/4 is too dark even for full frame. I've already tried it and not too happy. My 50 1.8G does astrophotography a lot better.

That's why I picked up the 15-30. The big downside is filters (huge downside honestly).

I would suggest you play around with the 16-35 VR for astrophotography anyways. You might find 24mm is the perfect focal length, or you might end up actually wanting something wider (20mm). I think ISO 6400 and f4 can work in certain locations. A big part is how you deal with the file in Lightroom afterward.
Rokinon makes a 24mm with VR? Wow that would be a kick, a fully manual lens with VR.
clear.png
;)

Last edited:

Rokinon makes a 24mm with VR? Wow that would be a kick, a fully manual lens with VR.

That would be an interesting lens. Lol

That would be an interesting lens. Lol

Nah I mean the VR on your 16-35 lens. If it's on then long exposures will look badddddd.

Tamron is making primes with VC, but widest is 35mm. I bet they'll release a 24mm with VC soon enough. Granted, the price is very close to a 2.8 zoom.

Most reactions

Back