Anyone know why photo looks pixelated at 100%?

esunphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello! I need some help please! I took headshots for some people and when zoomed in Photoshop/Lightroom, the photos (6000x4000, 300dpi) look pixelated at 100%. I'm wondering if anyone knows why? Is this something normal that happens, is it the camera I used? I've attached a screenshot of what the photo looks like at 100% in Photoshop.

This is what I used for the photos that I hope helps!

Canon T6i
Sigma 18-35mm, 1.8

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 5.40.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 5.40.23 PM.png
    670.6 KB · Views: 306
It looks like a digital noise.
What is your exposure settings?

^ This. It's not pixelated - look at her hair strands.

We have the camera which is more than a capable body in good light with a good lens while using the proper settings.
Without more information the why to your problem can only be guessed at.
Could you provide.
Camera settings:
Shutter speed, Aperture, ISO
Lens make and model, What focal length you were at.
Lighting set up, flash and power/ Natural light and reflector etc.

an image that has not been cropped to 100%.

P.S. Welcome to TPF!

Looks like luminance noise.

Looks like high noise to me. What was your ISO set at?

i agree here. just looks like shooting well above 6400ISO. the catch-lights suggest a studio setting -- so imho there's a lot a user error going on. Unless those are dim continous lights and then that's why most photographers use strobes.

also we are looking at pixels here.... hence pixelated.

It looks like a digital noise.
What is your exposure settings?

Hey, thanks for responding! I'm definitely new to this but the info for this photo is:

ISO 800
f/1.8
1/400 sec

Canon T6i
Sigma 10-35mm F1.8 Lens

We have the camera which is more than a capable body in good light with a good lens while using the proper settings.
Without more information the why to your problem can only be guessed at.
Could you provide.
Camera settings:
Shutter speed, Aperture, ISO
Lens make and model, What focal length you were at.
Lighting set up, flash and power/ Natural light and reflector etc.

an image that has not been cropped to 100%.

P.S. Welcome to TPF!

Thank you for responding and helping! For the lighting, I was using continual lighting. There were 2 soft boxes and 2 umbrellas that were used during this shoot. I've also attached the full picture to this message. I had to downsize it quite a bit but I hope that's enough information to help us understand the issue better!

Attachments

• Headshots - test.jpg
    Headshots - test.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 296

i agree here. just looks like shooting well above 6400ISO. the catch-lights suggest a studio setting -- so imho there's a lot a user error going on. Unless those are dim continous lights and then that's why most photographers use strobes.

also we are looking at pixels here.... hence pixelated.

loll yes, there probably is a lot of user error here! I'm just trying to play around and test things out. Super grateful that people are letting me practice on them and to learn too haha.

Looked FINE as the full image area...but poor as a tiny, highly-cropped segment of the frame.

The possible reasons for converted RAW are:
1. Pulling exposure in pp.
2. Pulling smthng in tone/curve controls.
3. Turned off noise reduction module in RAW developing software.

Agree with above.

On the settings side, 1/400 sec is really fast on a max 35mm lens, Drop that to below 1/200 which will drop the ISO and lower the noise.

also, fill the frame with the subject so you dont waste pixels and have to crop-in.

Most reactions

Back