Anyone know why photo looks pixelated at 100%?

The possible reasons for converted RAW are:
1. Pulling exposure in pp.
2. Pulling smthng in tone/curve controls.
3. Turned off noise reduction module in RAW developing software.

Oh interesting. Thanks! I'll definitely check that out and look into that. I imported the photos from the memory card to my hard drive and then had them imported into Lightroom. Good place to start with improving on edits. Thank you!

Agree with above.

On the settings side, 1/400 sec is really fast on a max 35mm lens, Drop that to below 1/200 which will drop the ISO and lower the noise.

Ok, that definitely makes sense. Thank you for that! I'll keep practicing and familiarize myself with the results on different settings on the camera. Thank you!

also, fill the frame with the subject so you dont waste pixels and have to crop-in.

Yes, that's some good advice. Haha, thank you! Will definitely do that.

I appreciate everyone helping me out! Thank you all!

Who needs ISO 800 in a studio? Put more light on the job, shoot at ISO 50, and get in closer with the lens while shooting, rather than shooting wide, and cropping in post production.

I have an 85mm T/1.5 lens (equivalent to F/1.4), and probably would have used that for a studio portrait like this. Otherwise, I might have used my 50mm F/1.2 lens. It produces even shallower Depth Of Field, and more wonderful Bokeh, than the 85mm lens, and a pleasantly strange sort of soft halo effect. That can make for great portraits, too. Wide angle lenses can be used for portraits, but they would not be my first choice...since they make subjects look fatter than they are...which should particularly be avoided when the subject is rather plump to begin with. Still, artistry is a matter of personal interpretation, so do as you wish.

Most reactions

Back