Anyone like machining or metal working?

Wow!!!! :aiwebs_016: That guy is frickin' amazing, and with such basic tools, too. Shows you what real skill can do. I hate him! :irked:

Wow!!!! :aiwebs_016: That guy is frickin' amazing, and with such basic tools, too. Shows you what real skill can do. I hate him! :irked:

Yeah I mean he is doing stuff with entry level equipment that is mind boggling. Just him making simple screws had my jaw agape.

Wow. That was interesting. I had never seen a pinion gear turned, cut,bored, faced to length, deburred, polished,hardened,tempered, and final polished. The tin does fly off the cutting bit, like crazy. Good video!

Wow. That was interesting. I had never seen a pinion gear turned, cut,bored, faced to length, deburred, polished,hardened,tempered, and final polished. The tin does fly off the cutting bit, like crazy. Good video!

He is doing a whole series on him building a clock. It's amazing some of the stuff he makes.

Wow. I love watching the precision and the skill of that kind of work. That guy is good.

Those metal shavings bring back such memories. My father, among everything else he did, would do machinist work, both at work and at home. He had a lathe in the garage and if he didn't already have a tool or part that he needed for whatever equipment he was fixing at the moment, he would just make a new tool. It was never as small and smooth because he usually didn't have that much time and he just needed it to work, not look pretty, but he did know how to make it refined when he needed. It was so fascinating watching him work on that lathe.

Basic tools? Ok I know most of it is lathe work but darn it he's bolting a fair bit into that lathe to get what he wants out of it!

Not a machinist myself in any form; however my uncle does good work with metal; he's built at least one if not two steam trains and is building another from scratch - this is the kind of model steam train you see in parks and such where you've a little "seat" behind it and you sit on to ride.
So he's building all the parts, tin after tin of various components. He's mostly up to the expensive part of the boiler which has to be pressure tested as well (don't want it going boom on you!).

Wow, he is good.
I ran a hand screw machine (like a small turret lathe) making parts for two summers for Harvard Apparatus Co. while I was in college and I really loved working with brass. It cuts so cleanly and pretty.
Stainless is another issue, the cutting oil and damn hot pieces coming off the cutter were a pain.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back