anyone use a mac computer????

Also... by your logic.. MAC OS X is also third party to Apple. The core was developed from BSD not Apple.

But Apple did the R&D and completed to whole design and package of OS X. It's an operating system that's based on a *nix design. It is Apple's version.

Who was the first company to develop a CMOS sensor? Was it Canon? Now several different brands use sensors based off that technology. Those sensors weren't design by Canon and they weren't produces by Canon.

That's how technology works if you haven't noticed. People license and borrow designs and incorporate their own technology into a design to make their own. That's completely different than buying a component that another company research, desgined, and manufactured and having some one say that it's an Apple hard drive and not a Seagate hard drive.

You are confusing two different things. The agreement with the brand and their manufacturer with the agreement between the original vendor and user.

Items purchased through Apple is considered 1st party to the user... no matter who manufactured. As an end user, my agreement is with Apple (original vendor) not the manufacturer.

You are talking about agreements between the original brand and the manufacturer. In this thread, the discussion is between the user (all of us) and the vendors (microsoft and Apple - 1st party) not the manufacturers that service the 1st party vendors.

I am done.. you can go on believing whatever you want...

I have two jobs that in part deal with manufacturer of components (hardware job, your def of thirdparty) as well as outsourced software groups (software job, your def of thirdparty). I have thousands upon thousand of clients that see me as the 1st party provider... they could care less about the manufacturer nor the outsourced software groups that assisted in the final product. Anything purchased outside of my representative company is considered third party. I am well in my legal right (as part of agreement between 1st party and end user) to deny any support/service based on any third party component purchased.

If they in turn bought the EXACT same component from me, then it is 1st party and I am bound to support it. It doesn't matter that the manufacturer of 1st party component and 3rd party component are the same.

Your clients are idiots.

There is no confusion there.

Because an item is included in a packaged device is sold by a company does not make that item the company's design. A Western Digital will never be 1st party Apple hardware. It will be a 3rd party device that's included in Apple's design.

I never said it's not Apple's obligation to warranty 3rd party devices included in the design of their computers, only that the devices included are not truly Apple hardware.

oh yeh.. forgot to include the obligated smilie...

:confused:

"Third-party software component, reusable software component developed to be either freely distributed or sold by an entity other than the original vendor of the development platform" from Wikipedia\. The same can be applied to hardware.

"distributed or sold" no mention of manufacturer.

i'm a mac user and would never get a windows operated computer ever again.
mac is a proper personal computer as it works for you and you don't have to work for it all the times like it happens with windows computers.
os x is so much easier and neater to use, too, not to mention the neater graphic interface.

Totally agree

AMIGA RULZ!!!!!

There is only one answer to this question, and lucky for you people, I just happen to have it!!!
There are a lot of people in the world who use Macs with great success. There are a lof ot people in the world who use "PCs" with great success. Either works well with various pros and cons that may mean something to any individual. Get whatever one you like best or appeals to your general aesthetic and go with it.
A lot of people on this forum (and across the world, and across the expanse of time) have and will respond with great passion to threads like this... making statements such as...

"Macintoshes are stupid expensive! Get a PC, they're cheaper!"
"PCs get viruses! Macintoshes don't! Get a Mac, they're more reliable!"
"I have a Macintosh! They are great!"
"I use a PC and it works great for me, so anyone who buys a Macintosh is just being a snob."
"Macintoshes are the accepted norm for graphics!"
"No they're not!"
"Oh yeah!?!?! YOU SMELL LIKE CHEESE!"
All of these statements have the same relative value. Zero. Naught. Nada. They're pointless and totally unhelpful. I reiterate...
There are a lot of people in the world who use Macs with great success. There are a lof ot people in the world who use "PCs" with great success. Either works well with various pros and cons that may mean something to any individual. Get whatever one you like best or appeals to your general aesthetic and go with it.
Understand what the real pros and cons are for you, given your set of circumstances...
  1. Does platform X have the software you want and need?
  2. Is platform X affordable for you?
  3. Can you get support for platform X if you need it?
  4. What will be the support costs of platform X?
  5. Does platform X appeal to you?
  6. etc.
Then go buy platform X, be happy about it, and shaddap about it.

So, one last time...

"Third-party hardware, reusable hardware component developed to be either freely distributed or sold by an entity other than the original vendor of the development platform" from Wikipedia\. The same can be applied to hardware.

And this proves what? A Hitachi DVD drive is sold by Apple, an entity other than the original vendor of the development platform, who sells a third party device included in their Mac computers. Apple didn't develop Hitachi DVD drives.

And if you consider a DVD drive Apple's property and apple's hardware, then what about the Intel chips? Apple advertises Macs with Intel Core 2 Duo chips, not Macs with Apple Core 2 Duo chips.

Computers are better leased than owned these days, in my opinion.

I've never heard of a private person in America leasing a computer-only corporations do that to my knowledge. Some people hear lease cars because they want to pay three years and have nothing to show for it, but I think that's about it. Of course, maybe I'm wrong as usual.

"Third-party software component, reusable software component developed to be either freely distributed or sold by an entity other than the original vendor of the development platform" from Wikipedia\. The same can be applied to hardware.

VI....

dude.. drop it... you don't know the difference between a vendor and manufacturer.

Even then, the wikipedia quote doesn't hold water. "Entity other than the original vendor of the development platform". Apple didn't develop those components. They are not Apple components. They're not even rebranded as Apple components. Apple developed the computer, but not the componenets.

If that's the case, I could make a premade recording system and brand it VI technologies recording systems. It would include a VI tech computer, a/d convertor, and monitor which wouldn't be dell, MOTU, and HP respectively anymore, it would all be my brand and my components even though they were still labeled as such from their original manufacture/distributor/vendor.

-------------

Last edited:
Vi Drop it...

Vendor is
"a person or agency that sells" (dictionary.com)
" one that vends : seller" (/www.merriam-webster.com)

I repeat:

So are you going to keep arguing that a vendor also designs and manufactures? Perhaps you should call up dictionary and webster to set them straight.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back