anyone use a mac computer????

i'm a mac user and would never get a windows operated computer ever again.
mac is a proper personal computer as it works for you and you don't have to work for it all the times like it happens with windows computers.
os x is so much easier and neater to use, too, not to mention the neater graphic interface.

I have two Macs and have been using them for just over 2 years. They work great.

God I hate threads like this.

I don't feel too good about continuing this discussion, but I've never encountered a media office or studio that was using PCs. In some cases the standard machine for the company is a PC but the media wing has macs. I am not arguing one way or the other about what is better, but at least here in the US it seems that macs rule the roost in media/design.

The problem with these threads is that they are filled with anecdotal evidence, and frequently from a variety of people that don't have any real industry experience in IT infrastructure.

Generally the precious few who do have that experience are largely ignored, or at best given as much credit as the dude who pops up and says "I HAVE A MAC! MACS RULE!"

Useful.

What's worse is I've been watching this happen for nearly... god... 25 years now? I remember ENDLESS threads about how MACS RULE! AMIGAS SUCK! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

i'm a mac user and would never get a windows operated computer ever again.
mac is a proper personal computer as it works for you and you don't have to work for it all the times like it happens with windows computers.
os x is so much easier and neater to use, too, not to mention the neater graphic interface.

BS. I've not had virus software on my Dell notebook and I haven't had a virus on the past two years. No work there.

"It just works" is the best marketing ever done. People love to quote this in any discussion that includes Macs and Windows computers. What's funny is that the people quoting this are most likely the people that buy a Mac to browse the internet and check their e-mail.

Try getting OS X to connect to Ubuntu. That was a huge pain in the ass. And when Leopard was released there were no drivers (*gasp* You need drivers for OS X?!?!?!) for devices like M audio, MOTU, and Pro Tools hardware. Three of the biggest names in the digital recording industry. In fact, it took several months for some interfaces to get proper drivers.

And programs crash in OS X. If it just worked, then it wouldn't be a problem. If it just worked, then there wouldn't be forums dedicated to Apple computer and OS X support.

Anything is prone to problems and nothing is perfect. Just because your computer browses the internet just fine doesn't mean that it's going to do everything else that everyone else does perfectly. Windows computers have problems, Apple computers have problems. Neither "Just work".

Anything is prone to problems and nothing is perfect. Just because your computer browses the internet just fine doesn't mean that it's going to do everything else that everyone else does perfectly. Windows computers have problems, Apple computers have problems. Neither "Just work".
Very true! Trust me, there is no irony or sarchasm in this post.

Sooooo ... not a Mac vs PC question. In the market for a Mac and doing my homework right now, I basically know nothing about them. Signed up for a bunch of their workshops and reading up online. Really new at photography and not super computer savvy. I know I should be looking to get as much RAM and processing power as possible. Having a hard time deciding between the Macbook or Macbook Pro (of course the price of the pro gives me hearburn everytime I see it). Sooo, shower me with advice and personal opinions :)

I just bought a macbook alum and wish i bought one decades ago, everything about a mac runs smoother, turning off and on, install and removing programs and etc. many video editing companies strictly use mac because of the programs and capabilities of it like final cut

I have a MacBook Pro, had a MacBook til the other day when I traded it for a camera, MacMini powering a projector for movies, an HP Laptop, Dell Desktop P4 PC. Oh I do IT for a living so I tend to have more computers than I need.

Sooooo ... not a Mac vs PC question. In the market for a Mac and doing my homework right now, I basically know nothing about them. Signed up for a bunch of their workshops and reading up online. Really new at photography and not super computer savvy. I know I should be looking to get as much RAM and processing power as possible. Having a hard time deciding between the Macbook or Macbook Pro (of course the price of the pro gives me hearburn everytime I see it). Sooo, shower me with advice and personal opinions :)

the new MacBook Aluminums are great in performance as they have better video cards than the standard white macbook. If you don't want ot spend the money on a macbook pro the new MacBooks are a great computer.

The only thing I want to know, is how is Mac not a personal computer? I htink its funny when people are like " i'll never use a personal computer again, I'll only use Macs".:er: haha But I assume people are talking about the OS when they make that statement, and not about the hardware

The same reason why all tissues are called Kleenex.

I've used computers for over 20 years, beginning with the TI-99/4A, and have used every OS along the way. I currently have a Dell desktop and a Dell Inspiron laptop, and I've never had a virus. I even use the FREE Avast anti-virus and Free Comodo firewall, and I've never had anything bad happen to my computer, so I'd have to suggest that viruses are somehow user error, i.e. opening an infected attachment, etc..

I had a Macbook just last year, and while it seemed well-built, I thought the single button mouse was goofy, the way you pressed the entire mouse down for the button action, likewise, and it was just so quirky and goofy to operate. I suppose if you've got nothing but time and have the patience to do things completely in an unintuitive manner then it is possible to switch from PC to MAC, but I just didn't see the need to be SO different. It's as if Apple people just wanted to see how weird they could be and just how unlike a PC they could be in their operation, from the unfriendly way you have to install apps you download, instead of just double-clicking on them as you do with a PC, etc. is frustrating. I tried over and over to simply install the free Quicktime app, but after downloading the file, not only did it not auto execute as it does with the PC, I couldn't even find the file! WHY?? Why not just put it on the desktop and require a simple double-click for activation and installation?
The screen was bright and clear, and, as I've said, the thing was well-built, but not worth the headache of every action being just so different and odd. It would surely be possible to build another platform computer such as the Mac and keep the same actions in tact, such as simple double-click activation of apps, etc, or maintaining a similar file structure and manipulation actions.
I love my Dell Inspiron, but I'm sure the Macbook is made better. I could buy a Ferrari or a Cadillac. Both will get me to work just fine, and the Cadillac is good enough for me..

Last edited:
Macs are nice, but in all honesty, they are clearly inferior. The lack of hardware and software support for the Mac OS just leaves you with at best stripped down versions of Windows software. I have 2 PCs and a Macbook and there is absolutely nothing that my Macbook can do that my other PCs can't do a vast majority better.

Macs are "dummie" friendly, as in, you don't have to worry as much about viruses and other negative effects that you would need to pay to fix not having a basic knowledge of troubleshooting. Though with that, comes the inferiority of Macs, they simply can't do everything a PC can. You'll find yourself searching for software replacements on a Mac that comes standard on a PC. In my honest opinion, using both over 4 years, there is no reason to own a Mac -- unless you like paying for looks.

Most reactions

Back