Anyone use their cell phone the majority of the time now even though you have a nice camera?

Jay Vee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My whole family use to carry their P&S and compacts but now don't even bother with them anymore. One of my sister even has a recent mirroless but just collecting dust now after getting the lastest iphone. They're all fine with their iphones and galaxies.

I'll use my phone in a pinch but my a7 is still my go to while the nex5r serves as my backup or pocketable setup.

As I see it, the main advantage of a cell phone is that you can send the photograph to anyone right away.

What is lacking is the nuances of a better photograph made by a knowledgable photographer with better equipment.

For some people, the differences are irrelevant or simply not noticed.

I've had cell phones with cameras in them forever. I honestly don't know how long but at least 10 years. During that time I might have taken a dozen photographs with them all told.

I've had cell phones with cameras in them forever. I honestly don't know how long but at least 10 years. During that time I might have taken a dozen photographs with them all told.

I have had my current cellphone for two years and have at most 10 photos on it. The photos I do have on there are of the, "Sweetheart do you want me to bring home this brand or this brand" variety.

I use my camera phone exclusively for taking pictures of my wedding vegetables.

majority of the time, no. Do i still use it. yes.

I use my camera phone exclusively for taking pictures of my wedding vegetables.
that is a excellent idea i should try that.

I use it to grab shots that I wouldn't get if I went to get a better camera, which is usually further away, mostly pics of my cats.

I got a DSLR exclusively for cat pictures.

Some people are happy with pictures, some prefer "photographs" I've got several friends that just don't care about the quality difference between the two. I say, as long as the person pressing the shutter is happy, then great!

Me? I rarely use my cell phone camera. I use it to take pictures of recipes from someone else's recipe book, or if I want to send a quick pointless picture to someone in a text. Otherwise, I pick up my "real" cameras. ;-)

I got a DSLR exclusively for cat pictures.
Okay, this made me laugh! Because (and I know you're wondering why) we went to see night at the museum last week. Have you seen it yet? Spoiler alert:
After watching cat videos on YouTube, They "tame" the lions using a flash light like a large laser pointer. It was pretty funny!

My whole family use to carry their P&S and compacts but now don't even bother with them anymore. One of my sister even has a recent mirroless but just collecting dust now after getting the lastest iphone. They're all fine with their iphones and galaxies.

I'll use my phone in a pinch but my a7 is still my go to while the nex5r serves as my backup or pocketable setup.

No. In fact, I often completely forget that my phone has a camera, even though--as many others have said--I've had a camera phone for many years now.

When I *do* use my camera phone, it is generally for one of three reasons:
1. Documentary purposes. Funny signs, things to remember, or something that happened when I didn't have my camera with me--for instance, while in Florida, I'd already packed my camera back in the car, then went to find a restroom. On the way back to the car, there was an armadillo at the side of the trail. We don't get many armadillos in my neck of the woods, so I wanted at least a quick snap of it. Don't know why, though, because it's not something I'll ever really process and display.
2. Panoramas. I *do* like to use the panorama option on my phone when I'm somewhere that calls for it, and I want to be able to post it online right away instead of waiting to get home where I can transfer, download and stitch together a pano from my DSLR.
3. I'm sitting somewhere waiting for someone else and bored out of my mind. Then I sometimes use my phone camera to start looking for abstract shots. Or, I just play some mindless, pointless game on the phone instead. :D

To DIRECTLY answer the OP's question: No, not for when I'm taking a serious photograph. However, the majority of photographs/pictures that I have are from my phone. Reason: ease of taking a picture.

But, I'll digress for a second... :icon_scratch: Wow, I must be in the minority on this site with my phone camera. I use my phone camera for lots of stuff.

Would I use it in a "professional" setting? No.

Would I use it in a casual setting where I'm not concerned about getting a perfect photo (e.g., capture a memory or post to social media)? Absolutely, positively yes.

Would I want to ruin the mood on a nice walk along the beach with my wife by bringing a tripod and DSLR? Absolutely, positively no.

Within the last 2 years that I've had my iPhone 5, I've taken thousands (literally) of pictures. Sometimes they are when I couldn't/didn't want to bring my DSLR with me. Sometimes they are pictures of my dog. Sometimes they are of documents that I signed and converted into "scans" using an app. Sometimes it's when I'm in a store and need to ask my wife whether to buy Product A or Product B.

While I would love to take my DSLR with me everywhere I go, I recognize that it's not always possible or feasible. That's when my phone camera (and sometimes P&S) comes into play. :icon_thumright:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back