Anyone using Sigma 12-24 wide angle lens?

Tayfun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello;
I am a Pentax K10D user and am interested in Sigma 12-24 wide angle lens. Does anyone know this lens here and if yes do you advice it or are there other alternatives? 12-24 has got wider angle than 10-20 and this is why I will choose it. I want to shoot landscapes and touristic places by this lens. Is it suitible for that? Thanks for the replies.

HASHASHIN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
10-20 is wider than 12-24

OP
Tayfun

Tayfun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Wow, thanks for the super fast answer:)
yeah you are right I saw the 35mm format angle of 12-24, when I look the SD format of both 10-20 is wider. So I found 10-20 cheaper than 12-24. What is the advantage of 12-24?

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
I believe the 12-24mm can be used on 35mm film or full frame digital. The 10-20mm (I think) is meant for digital 'crop' bodies only. That's the main difference.

HASHASHIN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
i guess the advantage is it zooms 4mm further than the 20

so i guess the question you need to ask yourself is, do you want to have those extra 2mm on the wide end, or the extra 4 mm on the zoom end

i have the canon 10-22 and i love it with the crop sensor of my xti

OP
Tayfun

Tayfun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Thanks to you two, for your fast answers. You are right Mike 10-20 is only for APSC sized sensors. 12-24 lens includes Aspherical technology which means less components so light lens but does it mean better optical quality? Actually I dont care about 4 mm zoom or 2 mm wide. But do you think (or know) there would be image quality difference for example in sharpness or etc? Also a note: 10-20 is F4-5.6, 12-24 is F4.5-5.6 aperture is nearly the same.And Hashashin generally for what purpose do you shoot with 10-22?

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
12-24 lens includes Aspherical technology
I'd bet the other one does as well.

I have the Canon 10-22mm as well. It's a great landscape lens. Take a look at the link in my signature. Many of my shots in that thread were taken with that lens. It's a Canon lens, so not an option for you...but it should give you a good idea of the type of shots you can shoot with a wide lens like that.

HASHASHIN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I'd bet the other one does as well.

I have the Canon 10-22mm as well. It's a great landscape lens.

ive never used the sigma so i can't tell you how the optical quality will be on either of these, do a search on google, im sure you can find some reviews pretty quickly

OP
Tayfun

Tayfun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Thanks Mike,
I had looked to your beautiful photos about a month ago (really couldn't take my eyes off them), and yeah 10-20 seems to be suitable for me if you took yours by 10-22. Hashashi thanks for your advice, I did it and found a lot of confusing advices:) Sigma 10-20 seems to be OK. Thanks guys for your fast and helpfull replies.

JerryPH

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit

Happy Hour

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos OK to edit
So since were on the subject (not to hijack this thread) but I was looking at the same lenses today and wondering at what mm does the pic start to bend?I have a 17-55 lens but it's a junk kit lens and I have a 28mm prime but it's a 42 on my Dlsr so I need something wider for my Dlsr I was kinda throwing around the idea of a zoom but how big of a loss is it on wide angle lenses?

Goldeeno

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
goldeeno.zoto.com
Photos OK to edit
I have the 10-20mm Sigma, personally a lot better value for money over the canon lens, and a lot of people i know will rate the sigma as being no different to the canon. As for the 12-24mm, i got no idea, but i do love the 10-20mm.
You dont really understand how wide these are untill you get your first chance to use them, but i know either one of those lenses you will really enjoy.

OP
Tayfun

Tayfun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I have the 10-20mm Sigma, personally a lot better value for money over the canon lens, and a lot of people i know will rate the sigma as being no different to the canon. As for the 12-24mm, i got no idea, but i do love the 10-20mm.
You dont really understand how wide these are untill you get your first chance to use them, but i know either one of those lenses you will really enjoy.

Hi Goldeeno;
As you mentioned, the 10-20 Sigma seems to be good choice. Thanks for the advice which will be very usable for me.

Most reactions

New Topics