What's new

Anyone voluntarily shoots DX instead of FX?

nickzou

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 12, 2011
Messages
593
Reaction score
40
Location
Ottawa
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not trying to start a war or anything, just genuinely curious. Are there any advantages to shooting DX over FX if money is not an issue?
 
Yes, there are some advantages to shooting DX over FX. Think about it. The insight you could gain is valuable.

I have both.
 
There is a plethora of information available if you search that topic on the 'net
google.gif
 
DX crops a lens. Suddenly that 600mm lens is a 900mm lens...

Sports photographers, nature/wildlife photographers, etc.
 
nope, i would immediately jump ship if i had the money for a FX body
 
FX has some major advantages over DX.. larger viewfinder, larger sensor (so hypothetically better image capture), most of the bodies are extremely well built and reliable. The disadvantages are that FX bodies are much more expensive (usually associate with PRO gear) and heavier, and good FX lenses are expensive also. The DX bodies are much more affordable, and will use both DX and FX lenses. Still need to buy good glass, even with the smaller sensor.

There are some situations where the FX will shine.. if you shoot pro, and need the absolute best possible image to sell. 90% of the time though, you would hardly be able to tell the difference if you shot the same shot with a good DX. That 10% is what makes the difference though.

Really up to you, what you can afford, whether you intend to shoot in an area where that 10% might make a difference, etc.... and whether you can live with the smaller, non-pro ?? version... :)

If I needed it, yes.. I would shoot FX... but I don't! I love my D7000 DX... and as of yet, have been very happy with it.
 
DX is also, in my opinion, better for Macro work. Slightly deeper DOF means you don't have to stop down quite as much and you also get the longer working distance.
 
FX has some major advantages over DX.. larger viewfinder, larger sensor (so hypothetically better image capture), most of the bodies are extremely well built and reliable. The disadvantages are that FX bodies are much more expensive (usually associate with PRO gear) and heavier, and good FX lenses are expensive also. The DX bodies are much more affordable, and will use both DX and FX lenses. Still need to buy good glass, even with the smaller sensor.

There are some situations where the FX will shine.. if you shoot pro, and need the absolute best possible image to sell. 90% of the time though, you would hardly be able to tell the difference if you shot the same shot with a good DX. That 10% is what makes the difference though.

Really up to you, what you can afford, whether you intend to shoot in an area where that 10% might make a difference, etc.... and whether you can live with the smaller, non-pro ?? version... :)

If I needed it, yes.. I would shoot FX... but I don't! I love my D7000 DX... and as of yet, have been very happy with it.

I'm not in any rush but my dream would be to go pro eventually. But I'm taking my time with it, building a good portfolio, trying to figure out what I want to shoot and what I don't. For example, retail photography doesn't really interest me. Weddings may be lucrative, but it feels creatively draining. Looking at photos from various wedding photographers, I just get the feeling that if I did that for long, I'd end up hating photography altogether. That's what happened to me and graphic design, I rushed into trying to make money way too soon and now I hate anything to do with graphic design (it's still part of my duties at work though). And yes, I love my D7k as well but I can't help but wonder if I should upgrade to the D800 when that comes out.
 
DX is almost like a free 1.4 teleconverter
lol8.gif
 
Hardly.. more like a free crop. I have had people ask me how a 300 on an FX goes to a 450 on a DX... <sigh>! I wish... :)
 
Anyone voluntarily shoots DX instead of FX?
If you buy a camera with an APS-C sensor, there is nothing voluntary about it. It is a conscious decision.

Like Keith, I shoot with both DX and FX bodies. Each have their own uses and purposes.


I've said it many times before, but I'll go ahead once again. Regardless of which sensor you choose to shoot with, your lens' focal length remains the same. A 50mm lens is a 50mm lens... a 600mm lens is a 600mm lens. That is a constant.
 
Size! Dx sensor with a Dx specific lens will always be significantly smaller and lighter than an FX equivalent.

I am slowly getting jealous of my girlfriend's 4/3rds system for this very reason.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom