Aperature Question

bp4life71

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the kit lense that came with the Canon XS....its the 18-55 3.5/5.6 IS lense.

I was wondering, when I put it to manual mode, why can I only get it to aperature 4? Why can't I bring it lower than that? I was assuming that since the lense is rated at 3.5, that I could get it to 3.5.

On another note, I notice its rated to 5.6 on the other end, but I can adjust to 20+. I'm new at this, so any tips/advice/answers are greatly appreciated!

Thanks again guys.

Where it says F3.5 - 5.6....that is the maximum aperture. It varies depending on the focal length (position of the zoom).

So at 18mm, your maximum aperture is F3.5, but when you zoom it out a bit, the maximum becomes F4....and so on until you get to 55mm where the maximum is only F5.6.

The minimum aperture is not listed in the name of a lens. It's likely something like F22, or F29.

cha ching! I owe you a beer buddy! :thumbup: That makes sense!

Just don't send me any of that watery American beer. :lol: ;)

:cheers:

Ya, mike only likes pure water, like Lebatt, at least that's what I hear. ;)

You might notice that my Avatar shows me holding a Molson Canadian...although, I don't drink that stuff anymore.

I stop drinking beer but if you try Red Horse (beer from philippines) I think 2-3 bottles will kick your butt out of the beer house & more than 3 bottles you will going to sleep anywhere specially if your not familiar with that beer. Well I like to sleep somewhere if I have someone with me (a girl perhaps not a gay!). :lmao:

You might notice that my Avatar shows me holding a Molson Canadian...although, I don't drink that stuff anymore.

That was a joke... a play on canadians hating american beer and vica versa.

Big mike suggested a really good book ( Understanding Exposure ). Ive not got the book on me so I cant tell you the author but everybody on here talks about it. I just got it on amazon used for 13.00 bucks but its a great read and I think it will help you alot like it has me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back