Aperture Related Shutter Issue Canon AE-1P

twvancamp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I grabbed a used Canon AE-1 Program about a month ago and it takes great pictures. It did have the typical shutter squeak when I got it. I looked at online tutorials and oiled the appropriate cog. This seemed to fix the problem, however about half way through the next roll of film the squeak came back, but only when shooting at a smaller aperture.

So when the lens is off the body or if I shoot from f1.4-4 the shutter sounds perfect. Then up to f16 the squeak comes back.

Is this possible? Any ideas why this would be the case? Appreciate any help!

Here's a video of the issue for reference.

The only possible reason is that with smaller apertures, the shutter is firing at slower speeds, making the noise more noticeable.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

The only possible reason is that with smaller apertures, the shutter is firing at slower speeds, making the noise more noticeable.

That was my thought, however it's not only in program mode. Even in Manual if I keep the shutter speed consistent the squeak is much more noticeable at f16.

Is there anything related to the mechanism that moves the aperture that could be causing the issue?

Thanks for thinking on this.

The linkage to transmit the aperture value to the camera body is a static mechanical linkage. Being static (it moves as you turn the aperture ring on the lens but not once you let go of the aperture ring) it should not affect the shutter at all while the shutter is being fired.

However, the real world does not behave according to theory. I have a camera where the shutter behaves perfectly with the back open but does not work at all with the back closed. Cannot happen but does.

The linkage to transmit the aperture value to the camera body is a static mechanical linkage. Being static (it moves as you turn the aperture ring on the lens but not once you let go of the aperture ring) it should not affect the shutter at all while the shutter is being fired.

However, the real world does not behave according to theory. I have a camera where the shutter behaves perfectly with the back open but does not work at all with the back closed. Cannot happen but does.

I'm afraid it might be one of those weird things. I only paid $70 for the camera so it seems silly to take it in for repair, but I really do like shooting with it. Thanks again!

I've lubed lots of AE-1 shutter squeaks. Sometimes the squeak does come back. Just repeat the lube until it stays quiet. I use an aerosol lube with a fine tube applicator which helps get the lubricant back where it is needed. Don't use too much though or it will get all over the shutter curtains.

I would guess the increase in the squeak at smaller apertures is because the aperture activating arm in the camera has to travel farther when the lens is set at a smaller aperture. I wasn't aware that that part was involved in the squeak but maybe it is. Anyway, re-lubing should fix it.

I've lubed lots of AE-1 shutter squeaks. Sometimes the squeak does come back. Just repeat the lube until it stays quiet. I use an aerosol lube with a fine tube applicator which helps get the lubricant back where it is needed. Don't use too much though or it will get all over the shutter curtains.

I would guess the increase in the squeak at smaller apertures is because the aperture activating arm in the camera has to travel farther when the lens is set at a smaller aperture. I wasn't aware that that part was involved in the squeak but maybe it is. Anyway, re-lubing should fix it.

Thanks for this! I used a drop of clock oil the first time, but maybe something propelled would would work better. Is there a brand you recommend? Also, do you go in through the top or bottom of the camera? I've seen both recommend in tutorials.

Thanks again!

I usually use this stuff. Just a quick quirt or two usually does it:
Lock-Ease Graphite Lubricant, Aerosol, 3 oz - AGS Company

... do you go in through the top or bottom of the camera?

Neither. I go in through the front as shown here:

But, don't use WD40 as shown in the video.

I test it a dozen or so times to make sure the squeak is gone. Then I let it sit for a few days or a week and keep testing it to make sure the squeak is gone. Sometimes I have to repeat if the squeak comes back.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back