Aperture

echoyjeff222

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The camera I'm looking to buy has an aperture from 2.8 to maximum of 4.0

Is this enough to take good portrait and landscape shots?

Also, how much should I be paying for a Nikon Coolpix P80 that is used?

That camera has a maximum apperture of 2.8 wich will move to 4.0 at full zoom.

It all has to do with the amount of light that can come trough the lense.
The lower the number, the bigger the opening (the apperture) in the lense and the more light through the lense (so maximum is maximally opened).

It has nothing to do with landscape or portrait shots. The Coolpix P80 is probably fine for that.

If you want to know how much you should pay for a used camera you better do a search on e-Bay or a used camera website.

Good luck on buying a camera.

That camera has a maximum apperture of 2.8 wich will move to 4.0 at full zoom.

It all has to do with the amount of light that can come trough the lense.
The lower the number, the bigger the opening (the apperture) in the lense and the more light through the lense (so maximum is maximally opened).

It has nothing to do with landscape or portrait shots. The Coolpix P80 is probably fine for that.

If you want to know how much you should pay for a used camera you better do a search on e-Bay or a used camera website.

Good luck on buying a camera.

Yeah that. :)

Right... the aperture range is probably more like f/2.8(or f/4 at full zoom) if it's a P&S which the coolpix is, the most you can typically stop it down is to f/8.

One other thing to realize is that when you read people referring to 2.8 as resulting in shallow DOF they are typically referring to the effect on a full frame, or at least aps-c sensor.

The 2.8 on a P&S typically acts more like an f/8 or higher on a DSLR (meaning you will almost always have most of the image in focus).

Last edited:
Ohh, ok. thanks for the clarification!

The value of a used camera, or anything else, is totally dependent on it's condition.

There's no scratches or anything on it. Works fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back