Apostrophes

Rob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ukphotographs.com
Apostrophes

Apostrophes have two uses:

1. Apostrophes show you that some letters have been taken out of a word to shorten it.
    Do not becomes don't.
    I will becomes I'll.
    Could have becomes could've.
    The apostrophe goes where the letters have been removed.
    You use apostrophes this way in informal writing. You should not shorten words when you are writing formal letters.
    NOTE - sometimes words are shortened in an irregular way. The apostrophe, however, is still used to show where letters are missing.
    E.G: Will not becomes won't.
  2. Apostrophes show you that something belongs to something else. To show belonging you add 's
    The cat's tail - says that the tail belongs to the cat.
    The car's lights - says that the lights belong to the car.
    Tony's hair - says that the hair belongs to Tony.

Usually the apostrophe goes before the s.
    If the owner already ends in s then the apostrophe goes after the s that is already there. You just need to add an apostrophe. Eg:

The dogs' bowls - says that the bowls belong to some dogs.
    The boys' coats - says that the coats belong to some boys.
    The cars' wheels - says that the wheels belong to some cars.

Watch out for plurals that don't end in s. Words like men and children don't end in s, but they are talking about lots of people. These words use 's to show possession. E.G:

The men's hats - says that the hats belong to the men.
    The women's house - says that the house belongs to the women.

Thank you :D.
Pet peeve of yours?
I mean: WRONG use of apostrophes?

That should have been "im sure ill start using apostrophe's eventually", right? ;););)

Rob! RO-HOB!

Teach us the right use of "there" and "their", too, please, will you???? ;) ;) ;)

And lens does not have a DAMN e on the end. What's a lense anyway?

Whilst I'm bitchin, who has a spelling mistake or mis-quotation in their sig?

Grr. :hertz:

There's another way I personally use apostrophes to give the plural of an acronym. Although it's grammatically incorrect, I think it makes things a little clearer. For example SLRs becomes SLR's or VFs becomes VF's.

NXT youll b complaining bout ppl UzN anoyN txt spk wen dey post. whch iz NothA tng dat rly annoys me az weL. ;)

Most reactions

Back