Apple announces Macbook .... thoughts?

shorty6049

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So today Apple announced the new macbook air. Its the thinnest notebook ever made i guess. It also lacks an optical drive. Good job apple.... anyway, without this turning into a PC vs. mac arguement or anything (god knows we've had enough of those) What are your thoughts on this new laptop? Is it worth the price? Any and all thoguhts on this woudl be great, I just thought this might be fun to discuss.

I'm not sure. I would really need to see reviews of this. I think it has a few good points:

• Solid-state drive option.
  • Full-scale processor (as opposed to several-year-old technology so it's low-power).
  • Battery life on par with current Apple laptops or slightly better.
  • Thin. And 3 lbs.

But I think it has some issues.

• A USB port. That's about it in terms of built-in standard data I/O ports or capability.
  • Tear-drop shape (0.16" thin to 0.76" thin). This is a personal thing, I just don't like this idea.
  • EXPENSIVE when looking at specs compared with other Apple portables.
  • Hard drive capacity smaller than the iPod Classic. (power issues?)

But remember that this isn't meant to be a replacement for a laptop. It's supposed to be used by people who need a portable for quick stuff on-the-go. Like a businessperson on a 1-day trip or going to a 2-day conference who needs to check e-mail, write a document or two, and maybe give a presentation.

I don't think the lack of a built-in optical drive is a big deal. I don't use my optical drive on trips ... at all ... except when I was home for X-mas and I got a DVD and wanted to watch it.

I also think that their target market will probably be willing to pay the premium.

I like that it sets a precedent for incorporating solid-state drive technology in the Apple line that, depending upon how it sells, should make it into other Apple lines over the next few years (as prices go down).

But as I said, for a good "feel" for the computer, I would need to see a good review and even to use it on a conference.

well, i think that a problem with it not having an optical drive is this. How will you install programs on it ? with a small hard drive, how will you FIT them on it? it just seems like its too impractical to succeed. IF a business person wanted something for on-the-go stuff, why wouldnt they just buy something smaller and cheaper with more features? Sure it looks cool, but once again, I feel apple has chosen form over function.

well, i think that a problem with it not having an optical drive is this. How will you install programs on it ? with a small hard drive, how will you FIT them on it? it just seems like its too impractical to succeed. IF a business person wanted something for on-the-go stuff, why wouldnt they just buy something smaller and cheaper with more features? Sure it looks cool, but once again, I feel apple has chosen form over function.

I don't own any program discs. All mine are downloads. From photoshop to word. I don't see it as a problem.

It predict it will sell very well.

It's got this neat little feature.

By domromer

Sure it looks cool, but once again, I feel apple has chosen form over function.

Not to be silly or anything but that seems to be working for them...

I personally will have no use for it, but it's "Cute" so it will sell to those who have to have the latest gimmick in electronics.

I'm buying one. But that's because I'm an Apple sl*t. Hardcore.

It appeals to the same people that bought an iPhone, even though the iPhone is not the best smart phone, nor is AT&T the best service provider, nor is it worth the cost. I bought one and love it. But I know it's not the best. I just like feeling cool.

And by the way, the lack of an optical drive really doesn't matter. That isn't a fair point against to make against the computer when I can't remember the last time I used a disc for anything. And I use computers all the time. And besides, if it's so necessary, just get the attachment. I do believe this laptop is designed for someone who travels a lot and is not meant to be a main rig. This is meant to be an accessory to a desktop, not a desktop replacement, clearly. So, really, if you have a desktop, use remote disc, and you're all set, you see? It's either you like it, or you don't, I mean, it's truly that simple. This is a specialty item that is not going to appeal to the masses like the MacBook or the iMac. This is a similar crowd as the Mac Pro and iPhone. This is aimed a high-end business people as far as I'm concerned.

Thin is in, but so thin that even the 1 and only USB port has to fold down... non-user replaceable battery, a bit spendy...

But hey sexy has it's price. So be sure not to step on it when doing your I'm so sexy dance. :bouncy:

-Shea

Actually I think that it will be very well received by its target market. Apple is trying to create a reverse paradigm shift with the air. Right now, laptops are are used as desktop replacements, but not so many years ago laptops were used as a compliment to a desktop. This is the market that Apple is trying to recreate.

for the on-the-go business person or student, the Air is the perfect computer. It will not find its way into the hands of many photographers, designers, or video editors, but the new features like the multi-touch trackpad (I knew that this was on the way since the iPhone) will find there way into the other Macbooks.

Even just the 2-finger scrolling(horizontal and vertical)
and the 2-finger tap for right click, make my Macbook 10 times easier to use than any other laptop I've had. I can't wait to see the multi touch features integrated into programs like lightroom and photo shop, the possibilities are amazing.

let me ask you this what product of apples have you ever heard of NOT selling well? trust me it will sell and it will sell big. the lack of optical drive, meh so what so much is available online or use the remote drive feature. not to mention at that thin why wouldnt you bring it everywhere? I would LOVE that computer (at about a 400$ price tag) to cary around to class with me.

infact that is another audience this may target, a soon to be college student who already has a desktop and wants a notebook, ya its pricey but it'll drop soon i'm sure and if not its sure worth the price tag for the look.

I applaud you apple well done again.

let me ask you this what product of apples have you ever heard of NOT selling well? trust me it will sell and it will sell big. the lack of optical drive, meh so what so much is available online or use the remote drive feature. not to mention at that thin why wouldnt you bring it everywhere? I would LOVE that computer (at about a 400$ price tag) to cary around to class with me.

infact that is another audience this may target, a soon to be college student who already has a desktop and wants a notebook, ya its pricey but it'll drop soon i'm sure and if not its sure worth the price tag for the look.

I applaud you apple well done again.

Here's one that didn't sell well,
Apple PowerMac G4 Cube. Ever heard of it? HAHA. It was stupid and was off the market in less than a year.

Here's one that didn't sell well,
Apple PowerMac G4 Cube. Ever heard of it? HAHA. It was stupid and was off the market in less than a year.

If the last flop a company has was in 2000 and 2001...

It probably wouldn't be too bad for a person with a mac pro at home. I wouldn't buy it, but I'm not the target market. Although it's not far off of what I have now - a 12" powerbook with a dead optical drive

I was far more excited about the time capsule.

actually knew someone that had it. but the thing to notice is, apple took it off the market. windows M.E. was NEVER taken off the market.

trust me if it doesn't sell they will get rid of it and for the most part you wont hear of it afterwards but i dont see that happening not with something as amazing as this

Most reactions

Back