Kevin- Fitness/ Physique NSFW

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago the graphics card in my Macbook Pro went out, 2 months after the cutoff to where Apple would have repaired it at no cost to me. I was a bit panicked; I've been booking jobs pretty regularly lately, but I wasn't prepared for an expense such as replacing my computer, or repairing a part in my Macbook that is quite expensive because it's supposedly hard to get your hands on the part (according to the repair shop I visited). My plan was to use an old laptop with PS CS5 on it to try and get through enough work to pay for a new computer, but in the same day that my graphics card failed, I was contacted by a potential client (the one in these photos). He was referred to me by someone I have never met, but he liked my work and my credentials enough to hire me. Turns out that he is a former art director at Conde Nast for quite some time (Vogue, Vanity Fair, W, GQ, etc...), former designer for TIME, former designer at The New York Times, and the degree of separation between myself, he and Michael Thompson (the fashion photographer I interned for in 2013 and 2014) is just the three of us. To say he is well connected is a major understatement, and this job couldn't have come at a better moment. I recently increased my hourly rate to a bit more than what I feel I am worth, and he wanted at least 14 hours of shooting time (7 hours on two separate days). I was worried about asking for my rate, but I decided to make a high bid anyways, thinking he would ask for a lower rate. Well he accepted my bid without any hesitation, and also covered my assistant's rate, as well as the cost of renting a studio, renting lighting and other gear, a hotel room for day 2 location, and paid for catering both days. I was able to replace my old Macbook Pro with a brand new iMac 21.5 inch retina, bought a new Wacom Intuos pen tablet, and still have extra cash after. Both days were a ton of fun, and it didn't feel like work at all. On the second day he told my assistant and I stories about working under Anna Wintour, as well as other various fashion and art directors and their quirky personalities. He told us about the work ethic required to be a photographer in this industry, and tons of other great stories. I really wasn't expecting to learn so much and to make such a great friend; I feel like this was a major turning point in my career, and because the shoot was so successful I think it's going to open some major doors for me. I learned that my work is more valuable than I was ever giving myself credit for, and I learned that I'm capable of a lot more than what I ever truly thought I could do in terms of booking and satisfying a high end client. Both he and I love the photos, and best of all, he took on all editing responsibilities, so when I sent over the files after the shoots were over, my job was finished, and he's already planning to hire me for more shoots.

These are the two so far that I want to share; I'll try to share more as they're finished. I used spray on sun block to get his skin all shiny (a little trick I picked up from a talented makeup artist friend). I haven't received the high res files yet so the quality may be a bit lacking, but I couldn't wait to share. He has a very large instagram following and specifically wanted to use these photos to promote his instagram, so they're cropped for that specific purpose. He says a few fitness magazines are also interested in publishing, so I have my fingers crossed!

portland_2_by_danostergren-db3kmwu.jpg

untitled_by_danostergren-db3g2uu.jpg

Last edited:
So, so glad for you! Getting what you deserve!:586:

You'll be famous in a bit :1219::1219::1219:

Congrats man! You are extremely talented and I respect your humbleness, as it is genuine. You really do deserve this and surprised it hasn't happened sooner. But in reality, you are so young. I am totally stoked for you in your artistic endeavors moving forward. Fantastic set, amazing really.

You're qualified Dan. It just needed the right person to recognise that. Well done.
I'm looking forward to pointing to images in galleries and saying,"That's a Dan Ostergren, I was on a forum with him before he became famous." :)

And your over the hill!!!!:wav::wav::wav: I can't say how happy I am for you, this is really great! :)

Congrats man! You are extremely talented and I respect your humbleness, as it is genuine. You really do deserve this and surprised it hasn't happened sooner. But in reality, you are so young. I am totally stoked for you in your artistic endeavors moving forward. Fantastic set, amazing really.
Thank you. I turn 30 this year, and I've noticed a slight change in the type of clients that I attract. I've worked hard to get to this point; the experience and time is finally paying off.

You're qualified Dan. It just needed the right person to recognise that. Well done.
I'm looking forward to pointing to images in galleries and saying,"That's a Dan Ostergren, I was on a forum with him before he became famous." :)
Haha, thank you. I've been getting that comment a lot lately!

Bad ass and great story to go with

Congrats man. I'm glad people are recognizing you. Not a huge fan of the processing but it does fit in with the style of the rest of his Instagram so it makes sense.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back