odagled

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.delgadophotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Apple to cease development, support of pro photo app Aperture | Ars Technica

Read about this today. Really surprised actually. I was really hoping for an Aperture 4 or X just like they did with Final Cut Pro. Made the switch to Lightroom months ago because of stability issues I had with Aperture. Lightroom has been so awesome that I don't miss Aperture at all. Well except for the focus point option. Anywho, farewell Aperture!

Considering that Adobe made Lightroom and Photoshop cheaper with their monthly subscription option I suspect Apple just can't see a viable way to battle the giant that is Adobe in this market sector. So they cut their losses and move out - it might also be because the market is exploding with more and more RAW formats as more companies are coming out with their own cameras so there's increased costs to support the program.

Sometimes if you can't carve out a niche or you want to be mainstream not a niche you have to pick your battles; battling Photoshop just isn't on the cards for most and I suspect Apple wants mainstream not niche market hold.

Glad I didn't buy Aperture.

Lightroom is better anyway. *disclaimer: IMO

I'm gonna have to agree (IMO of course). When I made the switch it was really easy to get going. It has never crashed on me like Aperture did. I feel people who are thinking of switching over, just go ahead, its not that difficult. Also I read that Apple might be coming out with someway to easily switch libraries over.

I would like lightroom more if I figured out the best way to organize stuff - that's what I liked about aperture. I could organize so much better.

Alas - what better way to move on that to be forced :)

That sucks! I have become quite at home in aperture. Photoshop makes me dizzy so I am afraid that switching to light-room will send me down the rabbit hole. I have been having issues with aperture lately though, so I will have to do SOMETHING in the future if a new hard drive doesn't fix my issues. Hopefully odagled, you are right and apple will make the inevitable switch not so terrifying.

On another note: what is this focus point option you are referring too? Im sure I don't know about it, and it sounds like I want too!

Anybody have thoughts on ACDSee Pro vs LR? I think it's a solid alternative for cataloging, batching, etc, especially if you already have Photoshop. These guys stayed independent for at least 15 years and keep improving it and I like how lightweight it is comparing to anything that comes out of Adobe.

Well since I got aperture for free, I am not going to complain. besides, as long as it still works on my mac I am ok where it's at. I have LR4 I got free to but don't like it. I got almost all my windows security apps for free as well all legally. I don't like adobe products even if some are very good and I tried most of them.

Last edited:
Jim+is+kill+_57a69f3c3e00f82e0c8b97cc458f51c1.gif

(Just kidding. I got Aperture for free and I never used it. I know enough about it to be dangerous and show customers in the store a few things, but that's about it.)

I have a feeling they did it because lets face it...

A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT, a lot of people use Final Cut.

And a very decent amount of people use Logic.

But as far as photography is concerned? Adobe unfortunately has and has always had that market cornered. For every 1 person I know that uses Aperture, 30 use Lightroom. :lol:



That sucks! I have become quite at home in aperture. Photoshop makes me dizzy so I am afraid that switching to light-room will send me down the rabbit hole. I have been having issues with aperture lately though, so I will have to do SOMETHING in the future if a new hard drive doesn't fix my issues. Hopefully odagled, you are right and apple will make the inevitable switch not so terrifying.

On another note: what is this focus point option you are referring too? Im sure I don't know about it, and it sounds like I want too!

Option + F. It lets you see which focus point you used when taking the photo.

No worries...the geniuses in Redmond, Washington have stepped into the fray, and are offering a piece of Mac software to replace Aperture!!! Just as they did with their ill-named Windows CE portable operating system (you know "wince" as it was called, the mobile device OS, the one that died when the ancient Blackberry killed it...), the dolts from Micro$haft have picked another stupid name for a product designed by the people that brought the world (to its knees) Windoze....they are calling it "Shudder". Yeah....what a funny,funny pun. It's sooooo pathetically bloated and baaaaaad that users will Shudder every time they launch the new monstrosity.

Micro$haft's Shudder 1.0 will be rolled out next month, at a $499 cost per 10-machine license, with a $40 a month per-seat annual licensing fee. Individual users will be charges a $49.35 per-month use license.

While the new naming has proven controversial in Redmond, Micro$haft's Steve Ball-Moore said, "Yeah, whe toyed with several cute names....some of the people in our IT department wanted to name it after them,because it relies so,so much on a full IT crew to keep even three or four copies of it working, but we thought Shi++ter, for "i t" was kind of well...like, well, kind of dickish. So we went with Shudder, as sort of a play on shutter, you know the way Windoze laptop users love to slam shut their malfunctioning laptops when whatever version of Windoze they are using freezes up. So--Shudder was the compromise; we went between the Shi++tter camp and the Shut-Her Down, She's Locked Up Again" schools of thought, and we're confident that Shudder will make us a TON of money, and will offer users yet another awesome chance to get cozy with a 1,000 page EULA and a 14-page manual. Welcome to Shudder!!!"

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back