applying as an assistant

will turner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So at the moment i am wanting to start assisting in a studio or assisting a photographer. I have replied to many job adverts i have seen about but i have not had any emails back. I want to try and start emailing photographers about assisting but i dont know how to ask. If anyone has done this in the past, any advise would be greatly appreciated, or if someone could write a letter as an example, as i am no good at writing letters that would be amazing.
thanks in advance,
will.

use the phone. an email is too easy to ignore. find out what they shoot, and where their images have been.

get out there and do some leg work. make up a folio of your own images to show.

ask for interviews to ask about the industry, and then ask if they have any assisting work going. if they don't ask if they know anyone else you can talk to, or ask for work. never leave empty handed.

thanks allot for the advice, do you think a portfolio would help when going for an assisting job then?

A competent assistant requires less training and may be of use, rather than just attending as a knowledge sponge or getting in the way.

If it's an actual assistant's job then a portfolio would very likely help as it shows dedication, interest and ability.

I assume you're also taking along a CV and that you're listing the photography skills and concepts you understand?

thanks azuth
"I assume you're also taking along a CV and that you're listing the photography skills and concepts you understand?"
this is what i am getting ready before i start ringing around.
i have had a few images published, would it be to my advantage to include them in the portfolio or take them as tear sheets?

will.

Most reactions

Back