Arca quick release ball head

Nwcid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbnokesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a medium duty Manfrotto tripod with 494RC2 ball head that I have had for years. I have been really happy with this system and like the secure quick lock/unlock of this system.

I have changed camera systems and I am buying the ProMedia holster system to go with them. Even if I go with another brand it seems like everything uses the Arca system in the base plates or L-brackets.

I have done some light googling but trying to find out what is out there for quick release for the Arca system. From what I can find there might be a couple of different versions of QR for the Arca and I would hate to get incompatible systems. Does anyone have recommendations?

Maybe I am overthinking my options. I do not use my tripod as much as I should. I am sure using a regular Arca thumb screw is fairly quick and secure, it is just a change in the way I have done things for a long time.....

This is the plate that comes with the kit I am looking at, Universal Bracket Plate Arca-Swiss Type by ProMediaGear

I have a medium duty Manfrotto tripod with 494RC2 ball head that I have had for years. I have been really happy with this system and like the secure quick lock/unlock of this system.

I have changed camera systems and I am buying the ProMedia holster system to go with them. Even if I go with another brand it seems like everything uses the Arca system in the base plates or L-brackets.

I have done some light googling but trying to find out what is out there for quick release for the Arca system. From what I can find there might be a couple of different versions of QR for the Arca and I would hate to get incompatible systems. Does anyone have recommendations?

Maybe I am overthinking my options. I do not use my tripod as much as I should. I am sure using a regular Arca thumb screw is fairly quick and secure, it is just a change in the way I have done things for a long time.....

This is the plate that comes with the kit I am looking at, Universal Bracket Plate Arca-Swiss Type by ProMediaGear
Your concern is valid. I have 2 different tripods with ball heads and 3 plates plus a L bracket all in this same style although none are the official Arca Swiss. One of the ball heads (Vanguard tripod) works only with one specific plate - the other plates and the L bracket all get hung up on a tiny piece of the ball head that gets in the way of the plate locking securely unless I fiddle with it to get it just right which is a pita in the dark or in a hurry.

You will most likely be fine as long as you stick with a thumb screw for the Arca clamp and don't opt for something with a lever that requires a more precise fit. I adapted my Manfrotto tripod head to use a Really Right Stuff Arca clamp, and have had no issues with my Kirk L-bracket, or my Sirui, Oben, and BlackRapid Arca plates.

-

All my cameras are equipped with the Kirk L-brackets for gripped bodies
and all longer lenses are fitted with Arca plates. Needless to say the all
tripods have Arca compatible heads and gimbals.

I am looking for Arca compatible stuff and I am basically forced to move that way. I have had my RC2 plates mounted on my bodies and long lenses since I got them. They are compact enough that I do not have to take them on and off.

Since my only real option seems to be to move to Arca or add the RC2 plates to the Arca bases, which does not make sense.

I still want to stay with a QD/QR style mount and use as much of the stuff I already have. One of the things I did find that might work well is 60mm Lever Release Clamp | B2-LR-II Is there are reason this is a bad choice? It looks like it is a direct replacement for the RC2 head on my ball head and it is QD/QR.

I also preferred Manfrotto RC2 plate, but my smaller travel tripod had an Arca head, and most L-brackets that are really necessary to deal with the FTZ hump are all Arca, so ultimately I switched.

I looked at that exact RRS lever clamp, but read some reviews that not all Arca plates are equal, and for that clamp to work, the fit would need to be pretty precise since it is not adjustable. I even called RRS and they suggested either using their Arca L-bracket or plate, or just using the screw clamp instead of the lever.

Here is a thread of mine from last year where I detailed everything I ended up buying or converting when I switched to the Z system. You may also need a "boss adapter" to convert an existing Manfrotto head, but those are pretty inexpensive. The cool thing is that if you buy an L-bracket that supports the QD release system, you can use it with any camera strap and quickly connect and disconnect it from the camera.

Z6II - First Impressions (see post #15)

That is a helpful post. Looks well thought out and a great system for you.

Due to having the belt/pin system I have to use the base plates that come with that system. So that is a fixed option. I rarely shoot vertical from my tripod and if I do, it is a quick flip of the lever on the ball head and I am in vertical so an L-bracket is not high on my list, but I do have an RRS one a friend gave me. You are right about the issue with the FTZ, especially with the RC2 plates.

Once the plates get here this weekend I will do some more searching. Maybe reach out to RRS and see if they know. I can also measure the RRS one vs the ProMedia one when I have them both in hand.

I guess worst comes to worst I am looking at thumb screw......

Most reactions

Back