Are 50's generally cheaper?

nickzou

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been looking into getting a high quality manual focus prime just for kicks and some manual focusing practicing. I've been looking at the Zeiss lenses for Nikon, the thing is I have a 50 1.4 already, the Nikon 50mm 1.4 AF-D. So I was thinking of getting either a 85mm 1.4 or a 35mm 1.4 but the prices are those lenses are more than I can afford at the moment. But the thing is, the Zeiss 50mm 1.4 is priced reasonably well. And this trend seems to be mirrored with Nikon's 35mm's 50mm's and 85mm's. What is it about the 50's that make them cheaper? Do they just have less glass in them?

Oh, also suggestions for fun primes I could get. I'm willing to throw on an adaptor and try vintage lenses.

My general opinion is that it's partly (1) supply and demand and (2) 50mm is probably the build quality is slightly less than the others. More people want a 50mm b/c it's considered to be the "standard" lens. Therefore, the manufacturer's make more of them. There is less demand for a 85 and 35mm lens so higher price due to smaller supply. It seems that the 85 and 35 mm are considered a more specialty lens and get a better build quality. The 85 is more used for portraits and the 35 is a wider lens. The same is true of the Pentax line. My 50mm 1.4 currently costs around $350 while my 77mm 1.8 lens is around $750+.

How many lenses are you buying? A minute ago you were saying you didn't have enough for money for a 70-200 VR the other day. Now you have enough money to buy a Zeiss 50 1.4 or a Nikon 85 1.4? I have to say, I am getting a bit suss about your questions. You want to buy a Zeiss 50 1.4? When you have a Nikon 50 1.4 AF-D.. just for fun as you put it. How about this for an idea? Put your Nikon 50 1.4 in manual focus mode and try having fun with it. Sorry to sound harsh here, but I don't think you are serious!

You are wanting to buy a Zeiss 50 1.4? But you have no understanding why a 50mm lens is cheaper to produce, research and develop? Very suspicious!

No, I don't want the 50 1.4 because I have a 50 1.4. I want something else, I don't think you actually read my post. So not that I owe you my decision process because my money is my money and what I do with it is my business. If I sell the 70-300mm VR II for around 500, the Zeiss 50 1.4 is around 700 and 200 dollars isn't that bad. But I don't want the 50 because I have a 50. I was thinking of either going with the 35mm or the 85mm but they are wildly more expensive than the 50. Which is within my price range.

And if you must know how I got from teles to primes. I simply got bored of looking at 70-200's all day and thought "what if? what if I decided to do something else with the money from the 70-300?"

The 85 is great for portraits and indoor shots. And like it was mentioned. The 85 f/1.8 is a very good lens. 2/3's of a stop slower but has very good optics. And the price is right in your range. It's close in range to your 50mm though. Since you have the 50mm f/1.4. I would stick with getting a faster 70-200 or 80-200 as mentioned in your other post. Probably get more use from it than the 85mm.

Rokinon/Samyang do both a 35mm f/1.4 & 85mm f/1.4 at very reasonable prices... both are fully manual lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back