Are discounts not a thing in photography?

Tiller

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I also play guitar, and almost all websites regularly have 10% or 15% off. 20% is not unheard of. But photography websites don't seem to have the same deals going on. I'm a beginner, so I'm not sure, but is this generally the case? And if so, why not?

Tyler

Is it really a discount if it's always on "sale"?

Margins are much slimmer on cameras and lenses. They make their money on stuff like branded lens caps, bags, accessories etc..

Guitars are inexpensive materials-wise whereas cameras are not.

Are you referring to camera equipment sales or camera service sales ?

If the former I see deals all the time on loads of websites, heck the manufacturers have big rebate sales as well.

For services its an individual thing, but remember that photography as a service is often more locally sourced and thus the internet might not be the primary sales pusher for the photographer - haggling and such might also be common.

And yes if a shop always has 10% off its not 10% off its just a 10% higher starting price ;)
Also note that many (most) manufacturers set a high recommended price and then most shops now have discounts from that - heck in the model gaming world almost every product line is 10% cheaper in shops than if you buy direct from the manufacturers.

And yes if a shop always has 10% off its not 10% off its just a 10% higher starting price ;)
Also note that many (most) manufacturers set a high recommended price and then most shops now have discounts from that - heck in the model gaming world almost every product line is 10% cheaper in shops than if you buy direct from the manufacturers.

A $100 Dollar pair of Oakleys cost $5 to make.

although a cost like that can be deceptive - often times quoted prices like that are material costs only or material and labour costs - without factoring in shipping, design, testing, styling, marketing etc... (although big businesses can often spread thoes costs out over multiple brand items and also over vast sales volume).

That well may be, but before it gets to the consumer other costs have been added, mainly distribution and inventory costs.

Certainly some mark up has to be added so the seller can make a profit.

How much do you think it costs Nikon to make a DSLR that sells retail for $500?

That well may be, but before it gets to the consumer other costs have been added, mainly distribution and inventory costs.

Certainly some mark up has to be added so the seller can make a profit.

How much do you think it costs Nikon to make a DSLR that sells retail for $500?

I am aware there is more to to the cost of a product than just the manufacturing.

My point was that low cost items have higher profit margins, therefore more discounts and sale can be offered.

High end items like camera bodies and lenses cost more to make thus you cannot give as much of a discount.

For example, Redbull sponsors tons of athletes and events, they give away products like crazy because the brand is more important than the actual product. Nikon on the other does not do that.

If you're referring to retail photography web sites that do portraits, weddings, high school seniors, kids, infants, maternity, etc - check back in a year and see if they are still in business

Camera gear does go on sale quite often, it also depends on what you are looking for. Even the pro prices aren't that great, not like they used to be. The profit margin is pretty lean for the most part. It used to be I could get $1500-2000 off camera bodies using my pro price, but now it's less than a $1000, and closer to $500 on some gear.

Camera gear does go on sale quite often, it also depends on what you are looking for. Even the pro prices aren't that great, not like they used to be. The profit margin is pretty lean for the most part. It used to be I could get $1500-2000 off camera bodies using my pro price, but now it's less than a $1000, and closer to $500 on some gear.

How does one go about proving that they are a pro? :D

How does one go about proving that they are a pro? :D

You pay a single shop several 10s of $1000s over a shortish span of time ;)

Although in the USA Canon does have their rewards service run by Canon itself where they sell reconditioned (ie like new) items at reduced price if you exchange with them any canon camera (yes you can buy a cheap point and shoot canon off ebay and then trade it in for a discount off reconditioned DSLR gear!)
It's something only Canon USA does at present but far as I can recall its open to everyone in the USA (ie its not pro restricted).

Yes I'm talking about gear, not the services.

And the low profit margin makes sense. I hadn't thought of that. I just thought it was an interesting difference in marketing approaches.

Whoops, sorry!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back