Are pixels square or rectangular?

CVhobbyist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What I mean is that a pixel could represent a larger angle vertically than horizontally, or vice versa. I've measued that on Samsung Siii the pixels are square, at least to within about 0.5% which is my measurement error. Can I assume that this is so on all smartphone cameras? I would need to know because of an app I'm developing.

Samsung politely explain that they don't know because is not a property which has been explicitly specified, but a consequence of other specifications. (At least, that's about field of view in general, maybe physics make them square by necessity?)

Is it general for all cameras? Is it exactly square or could it be 1% rectangular (which is my measurement limit)?
I read about the Matlab Camera Calibration Toolbox that it has a method for dealing with rectangular pixels, so it seems to exist. But maybe in scientific equipment and not for consumers.

In the past some DSLR cameras had both square and rectangular pixels.

I doubt you can safely assume all cell phone camera image sensors have 1:1 aspect ratio pixels.

Yes, they probably have 1:1 pixels. i don't know exactly, but i've never seen an modern (CMOS) imaging sensor without square pixels.
Explain what you want to do and we can help more.

Given that multiple pixels are used to get a single "point", and the arrangement and orientation of those pixels varies: I think the question may make assumptions which render it unanswerable.

Take a peek at this brochure for an example of what I mean. EXR CMOS TECHNOLOGY | FUJIFILM

I've discovered that one can query Android's Camera Parameter class for its field of view!
Camera.Parameters.getVerticalViewAngle()
Camera.Parameters.getHorizontalViewAngle()
According to that, my Samsung S3 has 49.3 and 63.0 degrees FoV respectively. That's a ratio of 1.278.
But the number of pixels in highest resolution is 2448 and 3264. That's a ratio of 4/3 = 1.333...
One angular degree is 49.7 pixels vertically, but 51.8 pixels horizontally.
That's a substantial difference of 4.3%!

Should I adjust for that, or can I safely assume that pixels are square anyway?

It has proven a bit difficult to practically measure physical objects and count pixels between blurry JPEG edges to find out with good enough precision to be sure. I ask here before I set out to perform such measurements more ambitiously if necessary (including C++ programming to access some sharper raw image format which Android unfortunately hides).

Explain what you want to do and we can help more.
I want to measure the relative sizes of objects with high precision. If their sizes change in terms of numbers of pixels depending on how they are oriented, then I need to adjust for that.

Given that multiple pixels are used to get a single "point", and the arrangement and orientation of those pixels varies: I think the question may make assumptions which render it unanswerable.

Take a peek at this brochure for an example of what I mean. EXR CMOS TECHNOLOGY | FUJIFILM
Interesting! And kind of bad news.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back