What's new

Are Precharged Rechargeables Really Precharged?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
4,057
Reaction score
230
Location
Baltimore
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Quick question.

I mean, If I put them in my camera, it reads as full battery, but should they still go on charge before you rely on them to power your camera/flash?

Thanks,
Mark
 
Yes they are. But it also depends on how long they sit on the shelf.
The precharged battery is a rechargable battery that can hold the charge better than the regular rechargable battery.

i.e. According to Sanyo site, the Sanyo Eneloop batteries retain about 75% of their capacity after three years when stored at 22 °C. So technically, you can use the batteries right after you take them out from the package. But of course, you can still charge them before use. (Because you do not know how long the batteries sat on the shelf)
 
I would charge them. Your camera is giving you a false positive.
 
Thanks to the both of you. On the charger they go. (:

Mark
 
I wouldn't, especially if you have a cheap charger. You may end up overcharging the batteries. Put them in, use them till they're dead, then throw them on charge.
 
I'd agree with Garbz -- also make sure you get yourself a propper recharger for those enloops/hybrid batteries. Nothing kills rechargables faster than a lot of recycles and going through a cheap recharger. A good recharger like a Powerrex/Maha brand one is a must - might cost a fair bit all at once, but the fact that it keeps your batteries lifespan going for so much longer means it more than pays for itself.
 
I'll see if I wrote it down, but David Hobby (Strobist.com) said in his Flash Bus presentation that he buys..... or rather can get, the generic pre-charged NiMH batteries from Wally World at $10 bucks for a set almost anywhere. They may not be fully charged (because they all tend to loose charge on the shelf) but they can be used straight away.

Too right what Garbz said. Use 'em up, then slow charge.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom