Are sunsets cool when you darken them like this? c&c

Ernicus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took sunsets today, I have to go to work shortly so no time to post. I took one that I liked and cropped and adjusted levels to make it dark like this. I think it's kinda neat but not sure. Curious as to opinions and my Facebook replies will be that of "awesome pic...you should go pro" lol. :) thanks in advance.

$DSC_0387-2.jpg

I took sunsets today, I have to go to work shortly so no time to post. I took one that I liked and cropped and adjusted levels to make it dark like this. I think it's kinda neat but not sure. Curious as to opinions and my Facebook replies will be that of "awesome pic...you should go pro" lol. :) thanks in advance.

View attachment 9163
cool sunset,but did you just applaud yourself in advance? LOL

So this is how Mars will look future huh.

Sent from my Galaxy Note using Tapatalk

Mars may look like that now...quandry

My sunsets generally sucked..so maybe applause myself, maybe not. lol. I was right on one thing...Facebook loves it. lolol. Facebook is such a "feel good" book. lolz.

Looks under exposed. You split the photo right in half, which really hurts the overall image. Since the sky doesn't have any detail other then the setting sun, I would crop to just above the sun, which strengthens the over all image. The light really falls off in both sides, so increasing the overall exposure would really help.

Increasing the exposure will take away the dark effect, the color it is now didn't come out until I decreased the exposure, so it was kinda my intent.

I am still struggling with having the horizon dead center. I keep telling myself not to do it, but I keep doing it. I'll check out the crop you suggested...I am often torn to crop above sun or more sky less land.

Here's a very quick edit both with the crop and the exposure on both sides. I didn't change the over all exposure.

$DSC_0387-2.jpg

I guess I was missing what you were saying. Thanks for showing me.

Yeap, I agree with Joel_W. In this case it seems better to include for lake and trees rather than sky... although it's not that as it is. What bug's me is the water on the right... those waves or whatever it is and in that color, is really distracting and also ruins the reflection :(

Anyway, overall the picture is really good. I like it a lot!

Yeah, it's a river so there was motion over there. I'm hoping to find a lake around here where there is decent sunset over to get good still waters.

Looking back through my other sunsets, it seems I am tending to leave a lot of sky in....so I'm going to adjust a bit in future shots. On plain skys anyway.

Here is the original file before I made it all dark and red, after blemish removal only.

$DSC_0387-3.jpg

and applying suggested crop that is. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back