Are there any GOOD tripods for under $150

SteveL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm in need of a good tripod. I need something not to heavy (5lb or less would be nice) for under $150 ...is that possible? One that is easy to travel with on airplanes? I purchased a Vanguard 233AP thinking it would do the job but it's a POS. The quick release plate is so small (1.5" X 1.5") there is not enough surface area to secure the camera, in my case a Nikon D100 and soon a D7000. Also the quick release does not fit into the tripod tight. There is play in the quick release to tripod fitting making night shots a waste of time.

So if you have some suggestions send them along one and all and I will check them out? If you have a tripod you really like tell me about it?

Thanks,

Steve

OP
S

SteveL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
PS: I don't like/want ball heads.

Joey_Ricard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
You may be able to come close with a Manfrotto
meaning the tripod and head (as a kit) I highly suggest getting aquick release version and not a simple screw on. I keep plates on all my cameras so they can all be used with the same quick release head.

Well, this is a little more, but it's a great set up
Manfrotto 055XDB Tripod Legs (Black) with 496RC2 Compact B&H

remember, the quick release

mjhoward

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeljeremie.com
Photos OK to edit
get a Manfrotto

I have looked at Manfrotto but man they are tanks, very heavy. worth a look again but for travel on airplanes I don't know.

If you don't like that, take a look at the SLIK in my signature. It's not too heavy and collapses fairly small.

OP
S

SteveL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
The Silk's are looking promising. Keep the ideas coming ...Thanks.

BTW, see you (mjhoward) have a D7000. I'm about to buy one, what do you think of it? Anything you don't like or would like to see changed?

2WheelPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
If you want a tripod that works well AND holds sufficient weight bear in mind tripods are "get what you pay for" type products

Joey_Ricard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
If you want a tripod that works well AND holds sufficient weight bear in mind tripods are "get what you pay for" type products

Aint that the truth!

I have found that people that said they didn't like ball heads usually owned a cheap one perviously. Everyone I have ever loaned one to went out and bought one shortly after.

CCericola

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.csjstudios.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
get a Manfrotto

I have looked at Manfrotto but man they are tanks, very heavy. worth a look again but for travel on airplanes I don't know.

Shouldn't matter. Tripods go in your checked baggage. US Airways, Delta and United may make you check it because it can be used as a weapon (blunt object and "club" like)

I have pretty much given up taking anything except my camera and lenses as a carry on. I get different explanations and conflicting rules from every airline and from different flight attendants.

Most reactions