Are there any GOOD tripods for under $150

SteveL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm in need of a good tripod. I need something not to heavy (5lb or less would be nice) for under $150 ...is that possible? One that is easy to travel with on airplanes? I purchased a Vanguard 233AP thinking it would do the job but it's a POS. The quick release plate is so small (1.5" X 1.5") there is not enough surface area to secure the camera, in my case a Nikon D100 and soon a D7000. Also the quick release does not fit into the tripod tight. There is play in the quick release to tripod fitting making night shots a waste of time.

So if you have some suggestions send them along one and all and I will check them out? If you have a tripod you really like tell me about it?

Thanks,

Steve

You may be able to come close with a Manfrotto
meaning the tripod and head (as a kit) I highly suggest getting aquick release version and not a simple screw on. I keep plates on all my cameras so they can all be used with the same quick release head.

Well, this is a little more, but it's a great set up
Manfrotto 055XDB Tripod Legs (Black) with 496RC2 Compact B&H

remember, the quick release

get a Manfrotto

I have looked at Manfrotto but man they are tanks, very heavy. worth a look again but for travel on airplanes I don't know.

If you don't like that, take a look at the SLIK in my signature. It's not too heavy and collapses fairly small.

The Silk's are looking promising. Keep the ideas coming ...Thanks.

BTW, see you (mjhoward) have a D7000. I'm about to buy one, what do you think of it? Anything you don't like or would like to see changed?

If you want a tripod that works well AND holds sufficient weight bear in mind tripods are "get what you pay for" type products

If you want a tripod that works well AND holds sufficient weight bear in mind tripods are "get what you pay for" type products

Aint that the truth!

I have found that people that said they didn't like ball heads usually owned a cheap one perviously. Everyone I have ever loaned one to went out and bought one shortly after.

get a Manfrotto

I have looked at Manfrotto but man they are tanks, very heavy. worth a look again but for travel on airplanes I don't know.

Shouldn't matter. Tripods go in your checked baggage. US Airways, Delta and United may make you check it because it can be used as a weapon (blunt object and "club" like)

I have pretty much given up taking anything except my camera and lenses as a carry on. I get different explanations and conflicting rules from every airline and from different flight attendants.

Most reactions

Back