Review - Black Rapid Sport

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
BlackRapid: SPORT

So I got one of these today and whilst I've not given it its full paces I've got some early thoughts.

I should say when I first saw these I never wanted one. I didn't see the point over a good neckstrap with proper padding (eg OPTech neckstrap) and that any lens too heavy for the neck would be too heavy for one shoulder.
However I happened to encounter another photographer using one and was struck by its ease of use; its effortless ability to take the lens away from the face and support it whilst holding it at a more natural resting position to make walking easier (with or without a hand atop the camera to support it).

Indeed any lens that is somewhat large on a large camera can be quite a pain around the neck.

Thus I got one (well got given one upon occasion of reaching another year on this earth).

Early thoughts:
1) It's very easy to use and takes weight effortlessly off the neck and arm and puts it on the shoulder; far easier to carry there. The padding is touch and firm and well suited to holding shape whilst under tug.

2) It is a shame that the under-arm stretch is flat rather than rounded fabric; not a problem with a shirt but with a light shirt in summer it might cause some rub that a round strip of leather might not cause. Granted this part doesn't pull tight and is there for support; but still rounded would have been preferable.

3) The screw mount is secure and easy to use; although if you use arcaswiss style plates it can be a bit of a pain as some don't have screwthread slots (mine for my 70-200mm has not got one- or rather it has one at the front in a recess and thus of no use for this).
That said its a matter easily resolved with one of these
Andoer® Aluminum Quick Release Plate Clamp Compatible: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
(there's a range of similar ones under various names). A simple plate to attach to the screwthread mount and to then lock into the arcaswiss mount on the camera+lens

4) I have a minor reservation about its practicality on a lens collar; although I've not yet put this to the test (hope to in the next few days when the afore mentioned plate arrives).

Overall, despite my ramblings up there, I'm very impressed in this; its simple and yet works really well. I'd recommend them heartily!

UPDATE AFTER A FULL DAYS USE
Update after a first days use: On 7D with 70-200m f2.8 IS L MII

1) Using the quick release plate (as linked earlier) I found that it held the camera well and without any worry attached to the base of the camera. I did, however, find that attached to the tripod collar was a bit of a problem - the natural position for hte collar on my lens is raised over the top (so that the collar is out of the way of the hands) but that's not a good spot to pivot nor hold the camera on the strap. This might be different with a much heavier lens; regardless the 70-200mm f2.8 isn't a problem hanging from the camera mount (its something i've normally done for years already without the strap); thus the black rapid went on the camera.*

2) I found that with the quick release plate and the black rapid it was effortless to let the camera hang by my side and let my right arm only steady it; intead of having to hold it. By the end of the day this really showed as a bonus; noramlly after days shooting my right hand would get an ache in the fingers - even using a wrist strap it still put pressure on the fingers to support the camera and lens weight.
Thus the black rapid really took the pressure off my arm.

3) I prefer letting the camera hang on the shoulderstrap instead of on a neck strap - the shoulder strap moves it out of the way of ones arms and whilst taking the weight on the shoulder not the neck. It's less annoying and whilst the right arm still has to steady teh camera when moving its no different to having to steady it against ones chest when moving (only that now you don't have to have your arm bent up to hold it and can have it in a more relaxed position).

4) The setup I had made the bulk on the base of the camera (where I've got a battery grip) a bit of a pain to shoot in the portrait aspect. In addition I'm not the tallest of people and as a result the strap can feel a little "short" when put into the portrait.
HOWEVER even though the distance is slight if I moved the quick release bracket from the middle of the camera to the edge (taking advantage of the sliding along the length of the arcaswiss plate on the camera) I got the bulk moved out of the way of my hand and got a little more distance with the strap - resolving the problem without any fuss.

Overall it works really well and I think it will fast be something that I will hardly not use; indeed using the quick release plate with the arca swiss setup its even easier to "not" use it - one just doesn't take the strap and there is nothing to add nor remove from the camera. This beats even OPTech neck straps and their removable main strap body.

I would say that I didn't try this yet with my 120-300mm f2.8; but I supsect it wouldn't work quite as well; indeed I think it works best on a lens that can comfortably hang from the camera mount whilst the strap is attached to the tripod screw on the base of the camera body (or onto a plate there). Which in practical terms means a 70-200mm f2.8 is likely the heaviest lens one will likely use it with.

* Note many use this lens for hours without the tripod collar; indeed were it not for the neoprine cover on my lens I likely would have the collar off any day using it without the tripod; thus to have the black rapid mounted to camera not tripod collar, on this lens, I suspect is very normal

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the BR Curve and Love it.I keep mine mounted on the tripod collar on the Sigma 150-600 since I always hand hold. I use the collar handle to carry it by my right hip the camera is upside down but When I am ready to shoot I lift the camera and it slides nicely up the strap to my eye in the upright position ready to go. Some people keep it mounted to the body but my feeling on this if you ever let it free hang not only will put stress on the tripod mount camera body but the lens mount. When I do night photography I take the lens off with the strap on the collar change my lens on a now strapless camera then mount my quick release plate.

Last edited:
I had something similar to that years ago.
it mounted to the ceiling though.

I bought the BR Sport as well. I used it a couple times, but I find myself always holding the camera so it doesn't bounce around as I walk anyway. Sure, I'm not supporting the full weight, but it's cumbersome to me, especially when using a long lens. No doubt though, it makes it easier to support a camera rig, and if people are using the neck strap then it's a good alternative. I never used the neck strap, bounced around too much for me, so I suspect I just don't like the camera loose on me, and it's not this strap itself. I see a lot of people using these.

My technique before that, and now also, was to just wrap the Nikon strap around my wrist and grip the camera, just carry it that way. If I need both hands for a minute, I either set it down somewhere or throw it around my neck like a sling, same way as the BR Sport.

I can also say it's high quality, though I have seen reports of people saying the clip that holds the screw-mount that attaches to the camera gradually wears down the screw-mount. People saying the metal isn't the highest quality. Time will tell if it's a widespread issue or just some people using really heavy rigs, but some reviews have posted pictures and it's a real thing.

When the quick release clamp arrives for me I'll likely superglue the screwthread in as I won't have any need to ever take it out.

When the quick release clamp arrives for me I'll likely superglue the screwthread in as I won't have any need to ever take it out.

That's actually a good idea. But that's not the piece I was talking about. Well actually, the piece, but the other end. I'm talking about where the screw-mount attaches to the clip, here's a photo, not mine:

Please insert a link. TPF does not allow the posting of images to which the poster does not hold rights.

Reviews said (and showed) that the clip, as the camera swung around apparently, ground down the metal on the screw-mount. I'm not sure they sell those pieces separately, but it's unfortunate to see on an $80 strap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've owned a couple of black rapids, I used their cargo strap RS-5 for quite a while. All in all I found it very comfortable, but like gckless I noted that the camera does have a tendency to swing around a lot when I have the 70-200mm 2.8 mounted.

I recently purchased the Optech strap sling to see if maybe it was a better alternative. I prefer the optech slide system with quick release - though it should be noted that in my initial experiments attaching both of them to the camera lugs used for attaching a traditional neck strap didn't work out that well. Made it difficult when I brought the camera into shooting position, the straps kept getting in the way. So I attached one to the neckstrap lug and attached the other to the black rapid connector in the tripod mount. This made the sling system very usable. When both are attached the camera doesn't swing around nearly as much as it did with the BR system.

The Optech shoulder pad isn't as comfortable after prolonged use as the black rapid, it lacks the black rapid padding and after a few hours you can really tell the difference. I picked up a used Optech Pro strap dirt cheap, I've replaced the original shoulder pad with the shoulder pad from the optech pro, but I haven't had a chance to get it out for a full day of shooting yet.

Last edited:
One thing I think worth mention is the connector that goes through the screw bolt the twist to lock closed can loosen up so periodically checking this or using lock tight. I had mine for around two years now heavy use and the only thing thats wearing is the paint off the collar handle from the connector rubbing from movement. Also this has been used on the Sigma 120-400, 150-500 and now on the 150-600 So it had plenty of chance to break but so far has been solid.

Last edited:
I would suggest using thread lock instead of superglue. If you would ever need to remove the plate for some reason it will be easier to do so if you use thread lock. I have been using my black rapid strap for several years now with an arca Swiss quick release plate. I used the blue thread lock and it has not loosened at all overtime.

Never heard of thread lock before but having had a quick look it seems to be the ideal stuff for the job - thanks for the suggestion!

I would suggest the blue instead of the red. The blue is removable with standard tools. The red is removable but require heat to be able to remove the screw. Might not be a good thing with a flammable strap.

True true; but the clip is removable from the main body so just unclip it for that

I used not sure if it was the blue or the red on the Harley Sportster I had years ago on the Mirror that kept getting lose from the vibration and falling down and I couldn't see the traffic behind me.Used the thread lock and never happened again.

It's the blue, you want the blue pill. Red is really tough to get off, especially if you use a lot. It's designed for motor work.

Just got curious, and here's the vendor description for red:
"Loctite Threadlocker Red 271 is designed for the permanent locking and sealing of threaded fasteners. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. It is only removable once cured by heating up parts to 500°F (260°C)."

I've updated the opening post with a review after giving it a good solid days use;

Overall it works really well and I think it will fast be something that I will hardly not use; indeed using the quick release plate with the arca swiss setup its even easier to "not" use it - one just doesn't take the strap and there is nothing to add nor remove from the camera. This beats even OPTech neck straps and their removable main strap body.

I would say that I didn't try this yet with my 120-300mm f2.8; but I suspect it wouldn't work quite as well; indeed I think it works best on a lens that can comfortably hang from the camera mount whilst the strap is attached to the tripod screw on the base of the camera body (or onto a plate there). Which in practical terms means a 70-200mm f2.8 is likely the heaviest lens one will likely use it with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back