are they realy that bad!!??

Im not sure why you didnt post those last 2 shots instead of the first ones. the second shot of the dragonfly was an improvement over the first, although it still doesnt pack that punch, but I think you get the idea... The flower with the moth was good also, but remember you are your own worst critic, so the fact that you feel that the moth is not in a good spot is a good notion. Just go with your gut and you will be just fine.

If you really want to pursue this as your bread and butter, aka a career, just remember this... There are lots of people that are excellent photographers... and some of them have careers as professional photographers... You dont want to take photos like them. You want to take photos better than them.... You remember that, and if your serious enough about it, you will succeed.

Good luck!

On the dragonfly, try cropping to one side. Make it look like the dragonfly has space in front of him. Gives a little different look. And I agree with several previous posters, get a decent beginner camera and some decent glass. Read all you can find and shoot literally thousands of shots. Put the best up for C and C and I promise you'll get better. Whether or not you go pro is yet to be determined but you need to keep shooting and enjoy yourself.

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs31/f/2008/213/8/3/dragonfly_by_photo_graphs.jpg

is that better?
im kind of starting too understand where your coming from now,
im doing things too basic.
i need too do things diffrent and more eye catching.
and even if it is something somewhat basic,
try even harder too make it stand out,
thanks! ill keep on trying.
i might take some tomorrow.

I agree with going to the library. That's what I do. Although I have a really nice camera I check out books at the library to learn what I need to do. It's all you'll ever learn in class. If you really want to get good at photography you will do what it takes to be good. And, you can do it free right now online, or at the library. Your two best resources are waiting for you. You can also e-mail, post or talk to someone who loves photography, too! And, try looking at award winning shots and ask yourself, what makes that photograph good?

the one thing i just dont understand fully,
is how to edit pictures realy well.
i guess im just going too have too learn how to work photoshop better.
its just that whenever i try too learn it online, they always make it far too confusing.

As far as the editing goes in the meantime I'd say just go and play with photoshop, have fun, do stupid things and see if you like them and take notes of what you do. Then put it in a folder and leave for a week. When you go back decide if what you've done has helped the shot or not and whether you still like it. Eventually good taste should filter out what works and what doesn't (hopefully :)) and you'll learn what tools you have available to you.

As the for the rather harsh criticism you've been receiving, my advice is ignore it. If someone offers you advice on how to improve then pay attention but phrases like "absolutely awful" and "hideous" are arrogant, hateful and unhelpful and should be treated with the contempt they deserve.

Keep shooting and keep posting and you'll be amazed how quickly you'll improve.

The size of your photos suggests you are working with a compact digital camera?
It's not the size you'd get out of a dSLR, I should say.
That fact limits you to a certain extent, of course, which is not to say you cannot take any good photos with a compact digital camera (you can!), but you cannot get as close to things, for example, as you'd be able to with a macro lens etc.

My idea for a crop of the last photo would more more like this:

dragonfly_by_photo_graphs_mycrop.jpg

I tried to keep some "context" (area where that dragonfly was sitting, which is GREEN, so not too much should disappear (!) <- longer standing members will better understand why I say so), but also place the dragonfly into one of the "rule-of-thirds-intersection" that would be there should you draw (imaginary) lines through the upper and lower horizontal third and the left and right vertical third of the photo. I know there is more to the "golden mean" than that, but that's a rough pattern that can easily be stored in one's memory/mind and "taken out" from there when composing the next photos.

wow, i love it on here way more aha,
everyone here is so helpful!
thanks for not being jerks everyone!

You're starting to get the idea and I agree with one of the other posters, if someone tells you your shots are awful, ignore them. They are not being helpful just being a jack**s.

thanks for not being jerks everyone!
all in good time, all in good time :lmao:

it's one thing to receive constructive criticism, but when the open ended (and mindless) "that sucks", "that's horrible", etc. start flying without justification just ignore the mindless ones

(Do you know of any good courses that are worth taking?)

The internet...
The Library...
2nd hand bookstores...

Save your money for photography equipment. You may not realize it yet, but by finding this forum you have found yourself a wealth of knowledge that will be given to you firsthand by many ppl w/years of photographic experience. Absolutely invaluable...
You may not end up w/a degree in photography, but you will still end up learning both the art and the trade. And trust me, in the end only the best photo will win.

have a good one
3Eo

What processing software are you using? I'm a Photoshop junkie. Learning more about your post processing software can also help make your pictures look a whole lot better. I feel like I spend 10x more time finishing a photo vs. taking them; maybe even more.

Um, isn't that dragonfly photo sideways? I'm pretty sure it's sitting on cat tails or some other reads that grow up and down....

Um, isn't that dragonfly photo sideways? I'm pretty sure it's sitting on cat tails or some other reads that grow up and down....

no...
its just sitting on a plant,
id knoww.
i took it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back