Are wedding photographers assistants in demand at all?

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a job where I can learn as much as possible about wedding photography without actually being the photographer. Are assistants or maybe second shooters in any demand for wedding photographers? Maybe someone to do their grunt work or to help out?

Yes they are indeed in 'demand'.

One thing to keep in mind is that the pay is going to stink (in most instances) - the photographer is showing you his/her tricks of the trade, so really, the most you can expect out of it is some experience. One note is you must always have a second shooter/assistant contract as the rights and usage of the images can be rather well -- sticky. Anyways, it is a great way to start networking as well :)

A good assistant is always nice to have on large jobs however you will find that most photographer such as myself only needs an assistant every once in awhile making it hard for some one to get a lot of experience so if you can find a few photographers that do not mind you assisting there competition then you may be able to get on a fast track by assisting 3 or 4 photographers until you find one that can take you on in a more full time position.

tried this once - but found it was not necessary. I've seen some use them as keeping track of shots, assist in posing the subjects, and moving the lights. Nothing an experienced photographer can't do his/her self. As for the grunt work, I know of a photographer 'using' a teenager and offering print credit for payment.

Thanks for the answers guys. I'm hunting for jobs for this summer and maybe the school year, and I really want to gain some experience and maybe be a second shooter at a wedding. Its kind of a long shot, but I'm still going to try. I'm fine with meager pay.

Also, how much will age factor into this? I will be 16 this summer.

Yes in some situations 16 will hold you up. Like location of receptions and or events. The rest really does depend on you keep in mind as an assistant you will be representing the photographer and their studio as well as your self. Not all 16 year olds choose to be this mature.

I had just turned 17 when I first started second shooting so I don't think that should hold you back too much. Just keep in mind if you are needing to go into a bar or where minors aren't allowed for part of the shoot, you might have some trouble ;)

I understand. I am a fairly responsible person, and my former employers speak highly of me. I doubt that will be a problem.

There certainly are opportunities...but there are also many, many wannabe photographers who want those positions as well. You might be competing with someone who is 30 and has $10,000 worth of gear.

The things that will set you apart are your personality and enthusiasm...and it will help if you have skill and knowledge as well.

Look around for photographers who's work you like, then approach them and ask if there is anything you can do for them. You might get plenty of rejections, but all it takes is for one person to say yes.

You might also consider joining (or looking into) a local photography club or photographer's association. They might be able to put you in touch with photographers who are willing to take you on.

Thanks for the info. How should I approach this? Should I email the local photographers? See them in person? Is there anything specific I should or shouldn't say?

If they have a public e-mail address, then that's a good start. I would be start out by telling the person what you want; that is: A chance to understudy them and learn. Then move on tell them why you would like to work with/for him or her. Be complimentary of their work, BUT don't go overboard. Explain your situation, age, experience level and current gear.

Make sure to look over their website to see if they already have a way they prefer for you to apply - they may even have a way to apply online. Make sure to follow up in a week or 2 if you haven't heard from them. When you do get a face to face interview, make sure to have your portfolio of your work ready even if it's not extensive. The studio will be looking for some spark of talent. If you can't get on at your first choice, don't worry too much. Just move on to your next choice.

You are doing the right thing by wanting to learn wedding photography from someone already working at it - too many people are getting in over there heads by trying to photograph weddings without any real experience.

The key requirements from any assistant are, in my opinion, enthusiasm and desire for knowledge.

First, find a photographer in your area whose work you like. You can call them or email them, just to politely find out if they are taking on assistants etc. You might want to ask about being an apprentice with them - they may not pay you at all in money, but the knowledge you will gain will be worth more than any amount of money.

To begin with you will probably just be carrying gear, doing setups and take-downs, helping with groups but not taking photographs. That will come with time.

Anyway, hope this helps and good luck with your search.

Nigel

Most reactions

Back