What's new

Are you a Canon or a Nikon? And why?

I shoot Canon because of their lenses and I prefer the layout of their bodies. I found Nikon's to be backwards and counter-intuitive. Even their lenses mount backwards. :) The menuing system of the Canon is more simple and easier to navigate for me.

I shoot Nikon, I am the opposite to you, canon seems backwards and counter-intuitive. But I am sure everyone has an opinion on that.
I'm pretty sure I could post two pictures of the same object, one from a Nikon and one from a Canon with similar lenses an no one would be able to tell me what one was what (outside of a guess having a 50% chance of being right)

FWIW its not the camera, or the lens, its whats behind the camera that makes a shot. One of the SI swimsuit photographers 10 or so years ago used an $85 sony point and shoot film camera to shoot the image that later became the cover.
 
I shoot Canon because of their lenses and I prefer the layout of their bodies. I found Nikon's to be backwards and counter-intuitive. Even their lenses mount backwards. :) The menuing system of the Canon is more simple and easier to navigate for me.

I shoot Nikon, I am the opposite to you, canon seems backwards and counter-intuitive. But I am sure everyone has an opinion on that.
I'm pretty sure I could post two pictures of the same object, one from a Nikon and one from a Canon with similar lenses an no one would be able to tell me what one was what (outside of a guess having a 50% chance of being right)

FWIW its not the camera, or the lens, its whats behind the camera that makes a shot. One of the SI swimsuit photographers 10 or so years ago used an $85 sony point and shoot film camera to shoot the image that later became the cover.

pics?

camera and lens can make the shot actually, but comparing the 2 doesnt make much of a difference. tools help the job.
 
i always vote for Canon.i like its light adjustment and the pics it create are so subtle and color-pro!
 
I've never shot a Canon. Never even held one, except when I briefly looked over my girlfriend's sister's XS. Years ago I had a buddy that shot Nikon (and still does), so I decided to look at Nikons. I liked it so I bought it. Works for me.
 
camera and lens can make the shot actually, but comparing the 2 doesnt make much of a difference. tools help the job.

Now the camera and equipment make more of a difference in sport photography then say models. In general. I have thought my camera/lens is what was holding me back a couple times, and upgraded, then years later had the chance to use my old stuff again, and what do ya know, all said and done in general the pictures are hard to tell apart.



For a model shoot, for some cover, if you gave the seasoned pro photographer a Samsung S630S 6mp camera (retail ~$50) and said get it done.
And gave a random person, even with basic understanding of photography a say Hasselblad H4D-40 (retail ~$20,000, I think thats without a lens even) and said get it done.

What one is going to get the shot that will make the cover?
My bets on the seasoned pro hands down.
 
What happened to Minolta?
Never been a fan of Sony products as well, my brother in law owns one of their DSLRs and it seems to take nice photos.
That's where Minolta went. :roll:


Back on topic:
I chose Canon a few years ago because it offered the widest available lens selection and better-priced lenses than the competition and because of previous good experiences with an EOS 10s film SLR. Other than price, I have no criticisms of Nikon's mid-range and professional cameras. I certainly wasn't impressed by their entry level models (D40 and D60) compared to the competition at the time that I was choosing a brand.

I expected this thread to get fanboy responses. I didn't expect that I would again be surprised at how little people know about the competitor's products that they disparage so categorically.
 
Last edited:
I shoot a nikon d200, because i got an AWESOME deal on it. No real reason other than that. I will admit that it fits in my hand nicely, and its just comfortable to use.
 
Pancakes and Eggs this morning...


No bacon? WTF?:thumbdown:

lol All bacon'd out from Friday's breakfast. I asked for extra bacon in my wrap and the guy smiled and asked how many? I said a lot. I was surprised to find about 8 slices in there. Yum!
 
Nikon for no particular reason. Well... I guess I like the bodies better.

Soon to be Nikon and Canon. The 800L f/5.6 IS is too... "convenient" to pass up. Though it seems to me that even fairly good photographers take crappy pictures with it... the learning curve must be steep as hell. :thumbdown:





 
I am on Nikon. I went to the store to hold both Nikon and Canon in my hand and I Nikon felt a lot sturdier. Plus, Nikon has pentaprism which gives a far brighter viewfinder, I saw most Canon in mid-range have shifted to pentamirror.
To give credit to Canon, I did feel that telephoto zooms (55-250) of Canon focuses much faster than Nikon.
 
There must be 40,000 threads like this on this forum. Do we really need to do this?
 
So long as the site has an active and large beginner level membership you will get repeats of beginner level questions and threads. I see no problem at all in this (I mean seriously how many of you are sifting through the archives of TFP beginner section enough to get annoyed by repeat threads getting in the way??)

Just accpet that its a part of an online community rather than always using such threads as a means to focus attacks upon the new photographers and new members.
 
So long as the site has an active and large beginner level membership you will get repeats of beginner level questions and threads. I see no problem at all in this (I mean seriously how many of you are sifting through the archives of TFP beginner section enough to get annoyed by repeat threads getting in the way??)

Just accpet that its a part of an online community rather than always using such threads as a means to focus attacks upon the new photographers and new members.

It's not an attack. It's a point. I'll admit sometimes we tired old souls should take a bit longer to make those points and that comes out gruff when we don't... however...

This also happens to be one of those topics that isn't even new to TPF... or the internet... or humanity.

Anytime when you compare X brand to Y brand it becomes a religious war.

I occasionally respond to these threads by simply saying...

AMIGA RULZ!!!!!

...and nothing else.

Why? Because these kinds of threads are JUST like those ones I used to see all the time on bulletin board systems way back when in the 80s... which is better? Amiga or Mac? Which do you use, and why? etc. It's the same old stuff... and the only real answer is also invariably the same...

"X has some advantages, Y has some advantages, but by and large they both do the job and it's whatever happens to work best for you."

And yet, we see the threads time and again...

Ford vs. Chevy
Vanilla vs. Chocolate
Toilet paper roll tucked under or over
Macintosh vs. Wintel
Macintosh vs. Amiga
Canon vs. Nikon

etc.

So anyway, yeah... you're right... there's not much point in my responding to this in the way I did, except that I hold out some thin bit of hope that if enough people say "hey, this is pointless" that eventually as a culture we'll learn. It's a crazy stupid and pointless thing to hope because it won't happen, but I hope anyway.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom