Are you a dedicated photographer?

Lovely shot! You continue to amaze! ;)

Must be a Nikon seeing how its working in that brutal temp. Juat sayin'
bigthumb.gif
This photo was taken indeed with a Nikon. The photo he was trying to make... didn't work out (he's a Canon shooter).

Very cool. Any other shots?
Here's one: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-gallery/274665-sunset-over-frozen-lake.html

The closest Starbucks is about 2 hours away :) The closest anything is about 30-40 minutes away :)

I'll do my best not to do it again :)

Nothing better than being freezing cold miles from civilization, just you and your camera.
I don't know if you're serious or not. I actually agree with everything you said, although I don't HAVE to be in the freezing cold ;)

If it were mine I would crop the bottom part off to the top of the big footprint right in the middle bottom.
That crop might definitely work. But... this was just a snapshot that I thought turned out cool. I didn't really put too much effort into post-processing it, and don't expect to put any more :)

Thanks all for your comments!

Thanks, I suspected it was a Nikon withstanding the brutal conditions but I was half messing around. Incredible shot indeed! =)

Yes I am that dedicated. Gone out in scorching hot weather and freezing cold temps hiked for miles to get to some of my key spots for taking photos.

Yes I am that dedicated. Gone out in scorching hot weather and freezing cold temps hiked for miles to get to some of my key spots for taking photos.

That is the way it is supposed to be :)

Nothing better than being freezing cold miles from civilization, just you and your camera.
I don't know if you're serious or not. I actually agree with everything you said, although I don't HAVE to be in the freezing cold ;)
QUOTE]

Yeah Im serious, unfortunately for my gear (it usually gets pretty darn beat up). A few weeks ago I was up in the sierras near Mt Whitney 7 miles from the trail head, 30 mph winds, below 0 (F) with wind, up an hour before dawn trying to get some good shots. My boots froze solid and nearly got frostbite on my toes.

But yes it could be blistering hot too, thats probobly easier - just bring a ton of water!

A few weeks ago I was up in the sierras near Mt Whitney 7 miles from the trail head, 30 mph winds, below 0 (F) with wind, up an hour before dawn trying to get some good shots. My boots froze solid and nearly got frostbite on my toes.

It sounds like you need better boots if you had problems in such mild conditions. What were you wearing?

A few weeks ago I was up in the sierras near Mt Whitney 7 miles from the trail head, 30 mph winds, below 0 (F) with wind, up an hour before dawn trying to get some good shots. My boots froze solid and nearly got frostbite on my toes.

It sounds like you need better boots if you had problems in such mild conditions. What were you wearing?

You can freeze your toes in any kind of boots if you just stand in the cold for long enough, even the best KAMIK boots do not help below -30°C if you wait for long enough and do not move.

Anyway, nice to see you around Helen :)

I have mountaineering boots, waterproof leather. two pairs of wool socks as well. The trouble was snowshoeing the day before, it got up to a balmy 38 degrees which made the snow soft and my boots wet. They sat in the test vestibule overnight and by morning were frozen. Since it was below freezing even in the tent, not much could have been done about it unfortunately.

I have mountaineering boots, waterproof leather. two pairs of wool socks as well. The trouble was snowshoeing the day before, it got up to a balmy 38 degrees which made the snow soft and my boots wet. They sat in the test vestibule overnight and by morning were frozen. Since it was below freezing even in the tent, not much could have been done about it unfortunately.

There you go. "Waterproof leather" - no such thing. I love leather climbing and ski-mountaineering boots (particularly Galibier's various classics - Fitzroy, Super RDs, Saussois) for the summer but I would never wear leather boots in the winter any more. I switched to the famous Koflach Ultras in '82 - they are still one of the best winter boots there ever were in my opinion - and they kept my feet warm in the Himalayan winter, even when standing around on belay. You can leave the outers outside your bivvi bag and still get them on in the morning when it is minus 40. The inners stay with you to dry out overnight, which they do easily if you choose your inners well - though they are only likely to be damp from sweat most of the time. It's 30 years since I woke up to plastic double boots for winter: since then Koflach, Garmont and Dynafit boots have all been great for me. Now Scarpa have restarted production of Koflachs.

Oh absolutely....but I'm also spoiled. I like a nice warm studio and not having to be outdoors.

Well they are waterproof, and they are leather. The leather gets wet, my feet stay dry. Done lots of water walking in them as well.

wish I had a $500 pair of awesome mountaineering boots, need to sell more photos though... :(

Well they are waterproof, and they are leather. The leather gets wet, my feet stay dry. Done lots of water walking in them as well.

wish I had a $500 pair of awesome mountaineering boots, need to sell more photos though... :(

Leather boots have seams, and seams may break once wet and then freezing. happened to a pair of mine.

I really cold climate I agree with Helen, you need separate inner boots which you can take out for drying. But I disagree that there is any kind of boot you will never get cold feet in ;)

Leather boots have seams, and seams may break once wet and then freezing. happened to a pair of mine.

I really cold climate I agree with Helen, you need separate inner boots which you can take out for drying. But I disagree that there is any kind of boot you will never get cold feet in ;)

Yes I know that they will not last forever, but for the moment they are the most comfortable pair of boots I have ever had. I got a slightly beefier set of mountaineering boots (also leather) from the REI used gear sale this past weekend for $35 so will give those a try.

I have heard wonderful things from everyone who has used the plastic boots with liners, I will get a pair eventually. Until then, I wont let it keep me out of the back country!

I would be dedicated if were not for the weightlifting, martial arts, and computer technology. That stuff is amaaaaazing M_{O.O}_M; but I do appreciate the art and the photographers who make National Geographic possible total :thumbup: .

Most reactions

Back