Are you seriously that stupid?

My Mistake!! Wrong thread! LOL :lmao:
I'll have to find it.

There was a guy who was complaining about somebody taking his photos from FB and saving them without him paying the OP.
The OP claims he had all the copyrights to the photos.

The OP does have copyright over the image.
But like I said, if you post your image on the intertubes, you no longer have CONTROL of the image.

My Mistake!! Wrong thread! LOL :lmao:
I'll have to find it.

There was a guy who was complaining about somebody taking his photos from FB and saving them without him paying the OP.
The OP claims he had all the copyrights to the photos.

Are you talking about this thread from another forum, that Village Idiot linked to in the post that you linked to?

Bram, you are partially right... mostly wrong.

When you put your photos on Facebook, you still own the license. The photo is yours to do with as you choose. You can still sell the image as your own. By posting on Facebook, you are not giving up your ownership.

However, by putting your images on Facebook, you are permitting Facebook from subleasing your content that you share (per you privacy settings). Any content you share becomes a public license sub-leased by Facebook, dependent on how you share it. If you "share" it with "everyone" then everyone can use that image anyway they so choose. If you share it with "Friends" than only your friends may use it anyway they choose. If you set it as "Private" then you do not grant Facebook to sub-license the content to anyone.

You can break Facebook's right to distirbute, transfer, and sublicense your content by deleting the content from facebook or changing your privacy settings. Once you do so, any license Facebook gave out on your content is void.

For example, if you share an image on facebook with "everyone", I can go and copy that image, print it on a sweatshirt and sell it freely. If you delete that image or make the image private, my license to use the image freely is terminated.

At no point do you give up your ownership, but as long as you are sharing the image, you are sharing ownership.

I believe, if you change the license, the new terms are only in effect from that date forward. For instance, you had images on Flickr tagged under the Creative Commons License, which grants use freely as long as the copyright holder is credited. People then made use of your images for publication. Then you change the license to All Rights Reserved, you cannot go back and ask the people prior to the change to stop using your images.

Any content you share becomes a public license sub-leased by Facebook, dependent on how you share it. If you "share" it with "everyone" then everyone can use that image anyway they so choose.

For example, if you share an image on facebook with "everyone", I can go and copy that image, print it on a sweatshirt and sell it freely. If you delete that image or make the image private, my license to use the image freely is terminated.

At no point do you give up your ownership, but as long as you are sharing the image, you are sharing ownership.
I had no idea that this was the case, and I'm not seeing it spelled out so clearly in their FAQs. Perhaps you can point me to where it says that by posting an image to Facebook, I grant the entire world a license to use it however they wish, including printing it on anything they want and selling it.

I understand that Facebook (as all such services) gets a license from me to display it, because that's the whole purpose of me posting it to THEIR web site - to have THEM display it on THEIR web site. So they have to be legally covered to do that, and that goes for displaying it world-wide. I totally get that.

What I'm not seeing is where that transfers out to the rest of the print and merchandising world for EVERYONE on the planet.

Help me understand that please?

You'll see a clause like that in Photobucket (for open accounts), but you won't see one in flickr nor Facebook (facebook actually tried to and the community backfired like crazy against them).

So in short yes I can make a T-shirt from any photo on the net - and unless I used the photo from a site granted me a licence or held a contract with the photographer/owner of the images copyright, then I can be sued (for how much and under what terms will vary depending on the country and if any registration is needed).

4404280459fd71913731.jpg

I've been stealing you guys' photos like CRAZY and selling them in Malaysia. Them fools couldn't care 3 ishts about "copyrights", "watermarks", "lawsuits", or "ethics", but those shifty little crooks never reveal their sources.

Look for your images on shirts on a table in a flea market near you REAL soon.

Bram before you call anyone stupid you should know what you're talking about. Even though you upload photos to facebook don't mean facebook owns them. You are only giving them permission to allow the photos to be shown on facebook but facebook cannot take these photos and do what they want and neither can anyone else. You are not giving up copyrights to anything. If you see a photo of yours in someone elses status you can report it to facebook and they will remove the photo from their status, if they do it a second time they will probably be banned and would have to re-register with a new account. I've seen it done...

Bram before you call anyone stupid you should know what you're talking about. Even though you upload photos to facebook don't mean facebook owns them....

Do you mean, doesn't?

Hey Bran, methinks someone who brings site-wide LOL upon themselves (like you have) has very little room to correct someone's mis-use of a contraction. Mkthks. :lol:

Not to burst anybodies bubble but Facebook change a couple days ago. You can no longer save images from Facebook that are not yours......................... no more right click "save as"

:)

So in reality...... This entire thread is now pointless....... LOL...

Most reactions

Back