Are you signing your prints?

jessinwa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lots of companies put their logo or a signature in the bottom right of their print.... many aren't. As a consumer I think I'd rather not have one, but as an artist I would!

So question is - do you have your logo or signature on your prints your clients buy?

I sign them with a black marker with a smile on my face. Like a rock star

I sign the back and only sign the front if requested.

I had a client order several prints as corporate gifts and she had me very prominently on the front of the matte.

I should have made it more clear... are you adding your digital logo onto the file in the bottom corner or something? I'm talking prints, not framed pictures.

If I sell an unmatted print, I'll title and sign in the white space.

I never use watermarks or logos. I leave them to the pros.

I should have made it more clear... are you adding your digital logo onto the file in the bottom corner or something? I'm talking prints, not framed pictures.
Prints for what?

If I give a client a set of proof prints, I have used a 'PROOF' watermark right across them. But I haven't lately I've put them into a proof book and not use a watermark, although adding a little logo might be something to consider.

For the most part though, if I'm selling a print, there is no logo etc.

Are you signing your prints?
Signing prints (and giving them a title) is pretty much reserved for fine art images. It can add value to a print as the artist's name becomes more widely known.

Most chain studios and many retail photographers put a logo on their prints as a marketing tool.

Keith, where do you sign your prints? On the image itself, in the white space, or on the matte?

i sign on the whitespace...that way it can be covered by the matte, but adds tons of value since it has my sig on it.

i wouldnt ever watermark an image for framing.

I add a digital signature (not my logo) to all wall prints (16x20 and larger).

I know this may sound a bit arrogant, but if you want one of MY signed prints, you'll have to spend some $. If I don't recognise and believe in the value of my work, how can I ever convince potential customers?

-Pete

Keith, where do you sign your prints? On the image itself, in the white space, or on the matte?
I print and mat so there is a narrow border of print paper between the inside edge of the mat window and the image. I title and sign there.

Standard mat window openings are made slightly smaller than the size print they are intended for, so the overlap can be used to attach the print to the mat.

So if you want an 8x10 mat window (actual size 9½"x7½") yet have 1/4" of white border on each side of an image to use for adding an image title and signature, you size the image to 9x7.

Most reactions

Back