I see my own work differently than everyone else. There's also that high expectation of perfection I deal with daily from my trade in jewelery. That effects my perception of my own work.
I feel my work is all over the place right now.
I believe we all see our own work differently than everyone else. When I had my first shows, since nobody knew who I was, I listened in on people talking about my work. It was quite fun to hear what people found in my work that I had never seen myself or never even thought about.
And that, in a way, is part of the reason I push people to show. You'd get reactions there that would be very different from on a photo forum. Yes, there may be photogs there too but you would have people who just don't care about the technical side of it.
It is quite normal for your work to be all over the place. A young photog (young to photography, not in age) is looking not only for a style but also for their zone of interest.
But don't obsess too much on the technical side. In the art world, technique is overvalued imho. The feelings I get from a work is much more important to me than the technical perfection. Now, I always draw some fire when I say that, but I don't like Ansel Adams much. He may be incredible technically but his photos kind of bore me.
That said, I understand how your jewelry work affects your photography. We are all affected in our art work by whatever else is going on in our lives.
Last but not least, no one needs to start with a solo show. There are usually more group shows than solo shows around and they are a great way to get started since one deals with fewer pieces. And it's a nice way to meet other artists too.
Cheers.