Art therapy

The wife!

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
FB_IMG_1511966294455.jpg

Photography is not always about focus, subject, apature, and lighting. For me photography is art. It won't be liked or speak to everyone the same way but it does not mean its wrong or bad work.
This particular photo has come to mean/speak a lot to me and many people I work with.
When people are in a dark place and the darkness is creeping in around you it is hard to see the light. The light is always there you just need to look up for it. When you feel like there is no way out there is a door or a window you just need to look for it. When you can't excape your thoughts or the past there is always a fresh clean start like a freshly fallen snow. There is a clean new canvise. You just need to look for it.
As a massage therapist I work with a lot of people dealing with strees, depression and anxiety. So I have it hanging in my therapy room. I have had discussions with cliens sharing this photo. I may make it a postcard with what I just wrote above and make it avalabe for people who need it.

Photography is so much more than tecnical things, it is art. I hope everyone can have a photo that speeks so deeply to them. Perfection is something I don't see as achevable, its somthing you can strive for but like a building Jeep there is always somthing to improve on.

Do you have a photo that means a lot to you? Let's see them.

Last edited:

Self Portrait
by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

{Edit: I didn't put the story}
There's a lot going on in here. This was taken as part of the first film class I took (2009); Nikon F90s, 50mm f/1.8, Kodak Tri-X. I don't recall the aperture and shutter speed. Lighting is from a swing-arm desk lamp and a tungsten light bulb (low wattage) above.

I was in college, working toward my BS in Geographic Information Science / Computer Cartography in preparation of my next (current) career. I was retiring in a few weeks and was detailed as a Background Investigator. I'll also mention that I was in line to be hit in a Reduction In Force (RIF) - one reason I retired when I did.

Obviously the bear is me. I am moving from the badge, towards the map as I work on preparing for a new career. Also notice it is a map is of Maine, where we eventually want to retire to. I also told my boss, at the time, that the bear is moving from a dark and uncertain place, into the light and hope.

Last edited:
Your image must be the now infamous "Barn Door" image :tongueout:

One of my very early digital images after I switched from film.

New by Dennis, on Flickr

I've got much more "artsy" stuff that I like but they are on film (like those infrared shots) ... too lazy to scan ... maybe one day.

For me, I get inspired by unusual things, whether it be a different way to render an image or how one comes to life and match's a pre-vision.

An example of a mundane scene that reminded me of my youth baseball days. This represents I no longer play baseball and that the ice cream stand we used to go to after a win is closed. To see it this way and to let the Holga's plastic lens render it so fittingly, is quite satisfying.
tapatalk_1492371898544-01.jpeg

Sometimes things are not as they appear. To see something through something else in front of a lens, opens up a wider range of creativity. This one struck me as spiritual, almost as if spirits were occupying the streets.
tapatalk_1511575154214.jpeg

Most reactions

Back