Artichokes

But do you prefer it to the first one.View attachment 113597
IMO, this is a vast improvement, but look carefully at the place mat (putting aside the fact that it's red, and red and yellow don't play nicely together), there's probably a full stop of exposure difference between the left and right sides of the image.

In this recipe I think the highlight is the artichoke. How do you make that the stand out item. In the photo you made the artichoke is present, but the potatoes are almost the same color and in the same plane. The placemat (background) is distracting (not so much the color, but the pattern). I think your lighting has improved a great deal and I think it is great to have the goal of making the cookbook and doing all the photos.

I would look for three or four slices of artichoke that are at the forefront with a balancing around them with the mint leaves and a better balance of the peas and finally the potatoes and lemon slice as sort of the base.

With that said, I took a look at your link to the Jaime Olivar page. The photos seemed very nice, what felt to me like a casual look done to perfection. So a quick search led to the photographer that Jaime uses, David Loftus.
David Loftus - About

He has a lot more variety on his page in the food section. I think there are 396 food photos. And of course he is on YouTube (a short video with a good tip):

In this recipe I think the highlight is the artichoke. How do you make that the stand out item. In the photo you made the artichoke is present, but the potatoes are almost the same color and in the same plane. The placemat (background) is distracting (not so much the color, but the pattern). I think your lighting has improved a great deal and I think it is great to have the goal of making the cookbook and doing all the photos.

I would look for three or four slices of artichoke that are at the forefront with a balancing around them with the mint leaves and a better balance of the peas and finally the potatoes and lemon slice as sort of the base.

With that said, I took a look at your link to the Jaime Olivar page. The photos seemed very nice, what felt to me like a casual look done to perfection. So a quick search led to the photographer that Jaime uses, David Loftus.
David Loftus - About

He has a lot more variety on his page in the food section. I think there are 396 food photos. And of course he is on YouTube (a short video with a good tip):

The first thing my son said about the photos that Jamie uses, was, "Deceptively simple".

Good idea to check out the photographer that he uses!

Some good tips in the video too.

Thank you,

Michael

IMO, this is a vast improvement, but look carefully at the place mat (putting aside the fact that it's red, and red and yellow don't play nicely together), there's probably a full stop of exposure difference between the left and right sides of the image.

Thank you.

What caused the exposure difference?

Michael

I would never advocate throwing food away!
Anyway,the photos in Jamie Olivers book are very nice,and professionally done.
But,there were a few suggestions to you a few posts back about using a wooden table.
Did you notice that in several of the photos in Jamies book?
I also feel it's a start in the right direction.
To me,it translates to warmth.
I do like your 2nd edit better.

Thanks.

I do have a wooden table but it's shiny.

This photo had a white tablecloth and I changed it to wood in Photoshop.

chicken and ratatouille.jpg

Thank you.

What caused the exposure difference?

Michael
Fall off; the position of your light.

Here's another suggestion: I think you might find this easier and more productive if you changed your approach. Right now you're shooting [I assume] plates for your cookery book. Unfortunately, these are actually very challenging subjects because they have a sameness of colour, sauces and other liquids, and seem to be in the yellow/green family which are less appetizing colours. How about making a couple of simple plates to start, and getting those down pat. Something as simple as perhaps bread & butter? Or a nice sandwich?

Here's another suggestion: I think you might find this easier and more productive if you changed your approach. Right now you're shooting [I assume] plates for your cookery book. Unfortunately, these are actually very challenging subjects because they have a sameness of colour, sauces and other liquids, and seem to be in the yellow/green family which are less appetizing colours. How about making a couple of simple plates to start, and getting those down pat. Something as simple as perhaps bread & butter? Or a nice sandwich?

Will give it a try, thanks ..

I took a course in food photography. It was all trickery. Ice cream was made of crisco. Ice cubes are acrylic. Coffee is browning. Use a large softbox on the side to simulate window light. Grill marks on steak are from a long heating element. Condensation on glass is sprayed on mineral oil. We got a whole box of fruits and only used the best looking ones.

As I've said before go look at Donna Hay.
The Dirty Tricks of Food Photographers

I took a course in food photography. It was all trickery. Ice cream was made of crisco. Ice cubes are acrylic. Coffee is browning. Use a large softbox on the side to simulate window light. Grill marks on steak are from a long heating element. Condensation on glass is sprayed on mineral oil. We got a whole box of fruits and only used the best looking ones.

As I've said before go look at Donna Hay.
The Dirty Tricks of Food Photographers

It's good to know how they cheat but it's problematic for me because I want to cook the food after I photograph it.

In a clip I saw with David Loftus it looks like real and natural food is being used: not to say of course that the lettuce hadn't been dipped in cold water to make it look greener.

10 Food Styling Tips to Make Your Food Photographs Delicious
also, ask yourself...are you cooking for eating or cooking for photography?
They're entirely different.
Tips and Tricks for Photographing Food – Part 1 | Click it Up a Notch

and more tips A dab of Vaseline? Perfect
hope to see more of your work

I will check them out. Thanks.

Sitting in an airport lounge in Rome waiting for a connecting flight to Athens.

10 day vacation.

So I won't be doing any food photos for a couple of weeks.

Interesting idea. You are supposed to post negative and not positive comments.

The Shark Tank

You're going to Athens? no excuses then. Start by practicing taking pictures of the food you're eating. I do that ALL the time.
I have noticed that bitching about camera costs and slagging other photographers seems to be the culture and norm here *LOL*

Most reactions

Back