Artists' portrait shots

MarcusM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not sure if this is the right place for these shots or not, but they were done gratis.

These are some portraits I took of my artist friend who wants some shots for his portfolio he's working on.

I'm only really getting my feet wet with portraiture, and I'm wondering if any of these are presentable as far as using them in his portfolio? These are the best from the afternoon. I know a few shots have some washed out highlights. Unfortunately, he stayed up late the night before. I had wanted to go out and shoot earlier but we ended up shooting at pretty much the worst time of the day - 2 pm. I have an external flash but I'm not knowledgeable enough with it yet to know all the manual settings, otherwise I would have used fill flash. Any feedback positive or negative is appreciated so I can get better. Thanks.

oh, BTW, one thing I noticed (actually while I was shooting and tried to avoid but couldn't given the angle of the light, etc.,) is that my reflection is in his sunglasses on #2. I suppose there's no avoiding that if there's an exact spot you want the shot in? I'll have to photoshop it out.

IMG_6058a.jpg

CRW_6063_RJa.jpg

CRW_6070_RJa.jpg

The reflection in his glasses on the second one looks like a tripod with a camera. Was that one a self portrait?

I like the 1st one.

thanks for the comments guys.

I don't know anything about portraiture, but I think they're usually softer.

Tennessee, do you mean the background is usually softer or the subject?

The reflection in his glasses on the second one looks like a tripod with a camera. Was that one a self portrait?

I like the 1st one.

no tripod or self-portrait, actually it's me trying to position myself out of the reflection of his glasses but I was unsuccessful, lol

Just my 2¢.

Most of the issues you are already aware of. Definetly harsh sun.

#1 - Good pose by having a forward pointing shoulder giving that slight turn. Either have the entire hand in the shot or not. Rule of thumb is to not crop at the joints or truncate hands and feet.

#2 - Being aware of the direction of light source could have avoided your reflection. Also, hard shadows under chin. Using reflector or fill flash would have been a possible cure.

#3 - Looks uncomfortable and again the lighting.

All in all, you did pretty good.

Tennessee, do you mean the background is usually softer or the subject?

The subject, "I think" the cover up imperfections in complexion and such......again, I really don't know, that's just what I seem to remember reading from other portraits.....and I would assume you take care of the background with DOF depending if it's distracting or not

i think this is good but the poses that he is in aer well rough especialy 3 i think the arms were too muck maby if he were laying down it more gracefull

i think this is good but the poses that he is in aer well rough especialy 3 i think the arms were too muck maby if he were laying down it more gracefull

No offense, but I could honestly only understand about the last 25% of your sentence.

---
I think these are good, but the poses are, well, rough. Especially picture three. I think the arms were too mu(ch). Maybe if is he was laying down it would be more graceful.

lol, thanks for the translation. I didn't feel like trying to figure it out.

i actually really like the second, i love the fact you can see the photographer and with both their poses it looks purposefully done. i like them

i actually really like the second, i love the fact you can see the photographer and with both their poses it looks purposefully done. i like them

Thanks! I actually can't take all the credit. My subject did most of his own posing. One of my weak points I'm trying to work on is trying to provide direction. It's not in my nature to boss people around, so it's hard to get used to but something I need to master to become successful in the portraiture field.

Most reactions

Back