Asahi Takumar Vs. Carl Zeiss

Dom6663

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I like to shoot with older manual focus lenses. They are cheap (usually), sharp (98% of the time), and have great build quality. With christmas coming up I'm facing a dilemma, here are my options

Carl Zeiss Sonnar 150mm f4- $150

SMC Takumar 85mm f1.8 - $350

SMC Takumar 10mm f4 macro - $unkown (its a bid, guessing around $150-$200)

Anyway, the most lavish thing is the 85mm f1.8 of course, but that would take away from the rest of my 'self gifts' I really only have a budget of $200 for a new lens, without tapping into my other new things!

Is the 85mm f1.8 worth it? Or should I stick with one of the other two?

If the f/4 is ok with you, i'd go with the CZJ Sonnar. The Tak is very fast, but these older, fast lenses are pretty gooey wide open, and I wouldn't be surprised if you'd end up stopping down to f/4 most of the time anyway.

Maybe not though.

Well with the f/4 sonnar id be stopping down to 5.6 or so. And the 85mm f1.8 is reasonably sharp bellow f2.8 and sharp at f4. its the best smc tak made

The SMC 85mm f/1.8 is among one of the most sought after lenses for Takumars. That would be my choice but I am biased... I collect takumars and the 85mm is on my short list.

I get fairly good results with my CZJ 50/2.8 Red T 1Q Tessar wide open. Though that's prob not a very good comparison.

If you won't get good results on the CZJ at f:4, the Tak is deff the way to go. f:5.6 is WAY too slow for me.

What are you shooting these lenses on?? If you want a good 85 with a wonderful "roundness" to the background and defocused areas, the "old" Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 H, or the slightly newer H.C. is a good lens that adapts easily to Canon. These were all-metal, and built solidly. I love the old Super Takumar-era lenses myself. Such handsome design!

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/6070nikkor/telephoto/85mm.htm

KEH has an ugly one for $139. Bargain ones are around $225.

Portraits of course, not much else you can do with an 85mm manual focus. And if I had to choose between a tak and a nikkor, not because its a nikkor, id still chose a tak. If I assemble a collection of tak and decide one day to sell them, selling them as a set will be easy. Plus the 85mm f1.8 will only go up in value

Most reactions

New Topics

Back