Look into the 100-300 f/5.6 Ai-S Nikkor + reverse-mounted 6-T on the front, as an _amazing_ macro tool. I own the combo. Amazingly good performance. Seriously. Look into this combo in Bjorn Rorslett's "subjective lens evaluations". The 6-T s a great, 2-element closeup lens. The pairing of this obscure zoom and the 6-T is amazing. The 6-T fits on several 1970's-1980's zooms.

Last edited:
Bjorn R. wrote :" The real surprise of the 100-300, however, comes when you put a close-up lens onto its front threads. I employed my standard Nikon 6T (reverse-mounted) and was absolutely floored by the high quality close-ups produced by this combination. High image sharpness and contrast, perfectly flat field, and virtually no CA are features you associate with an expensive Micro-Nikkor, not a makeshift combination of a achromatic attachment and a consumer zoom lens. Food for some real thoughts."

...........If longer focal lengths are your thing, then maybe even medium format adaptors and lenses might be an option. Never looked too much into that. Certainly more expensive than M42. But might have some interesting options - maybe even T/S?

That's be one helluvan adapter.

They exist, But tend to be kind of expensive even without t/s

Adapter prices have plummeted in this age of e-Bay, Mad in China, and mirrorless cameras. Adapters have never been as popular as they are now. LOTS of adapters are for sale. Fotodiox sells a lot of them, and has its own brand. Somewhere I have a Leica 39mm thread mount to M42 thread mount super-slim thread adapter i bought from them some years back.

I have quite a few Fotodiox adapters, and for the price nothing beats them. They're really nice.

I did just buy a Kippon M42 adapter, just to see what a $15 M42 adapter is all about :p

(eta:the adapter I thought was Fotodiox was actually "Fotasy")

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back