asked to stop taking pics

I keep a few copies of that in my bag as well.

I'd just move on. There are other buildings.

For some, that is always an option. But, I guess I'm genetically wired a different way. I don't defy authority just to do it, but I will defy those who think they have authority, especially when I know I am in the right.

A few months back, I was taking pics of Fifth/Third field (local AAA Reds baseball stadium in Dayton) when two rent-a-cops came across the street telling me I can't take pics because it is a trademarked building...I told them BS. Only the owner of the copyright can enforce that, and ONLY if I am attempting to make a profit from said photos. I am perfectly in my right to take personal pics from a public place. They went back in, called the cops, and after about 10 minutes of talking with the kind officers, they agreed with me and I even got a "have a nice day"....... :boogie:

Somebody wasn't too happy....:greenpbl:

Security jobs must be very,very boring. :wink:

I'd just move on. There are other buildings.
See now that is why they think they can get away with stomping on your rights. Far too many people are allowing it. So long as you are in a public area then you have the right to shoot the shot. If they dont want pics of the building taken then cover it with a giant sheet.

Rediculous. You said that it wasnt even their building? I would have just smiled at them and continued to photograph.

Generally speaking, if it's viewable from a public standpoint, you have right to photograph it. The rules are even more lax if it's not for commercial use.

If they're rent-a-cops, tell them to call some real cops with real authority if they feel a real crime has been committed.

Great photos, by the way, I like how it fades into the blackness of the sky.

Last edited:
I never had anyone stop me while photographing, but in my youth I had rent-a-cops try to stop me from skateboarding and guess what - they can't do anything anyway. They don't have guns, or batons, or handcuffs, or authority. Let them touch you or your gear and sue them for all they are worth. This isn't the 3rd world...people can't just confiscate your film/cards. If they call the regular police you might be in for a hassle but you should still be in the clear.

I agree. Even if they don't have the right to tell you to leave, the police have a lot of ways to make your life miserable. It's almost always better to just honor their request and not invite more trouble.
And my lawyer has ways of making their lives miserable. The rentacops I would have flipped off and told them to call real cops. Then I would have asked the real cops to tell them to stop harassing me.

On several occasions I have politely explained something along the lines of "I understand your concern, however I do legally have the right to take pictures here." If you like, you are more than welcome to call the police. If I'm still shooting the site when they get here we can discuss it further." (and then I resume shooting)

Standard trick- usually if you sound like you know what the hell you are talking about, most people will quickly back down. Hell, I used to use this trick to walk right past front door security guards- just look like you know where you're going and usually they won't stop you. :lol: Funny trick.

I personally don't back down if they push it beyond that, but I must admit I think backing down is probably smarter. Some people are whackos and you just don't know what you're going to get yourself into if you keep at it.

And my lawyer has ways of making their lives miserable. The rentacops I would have flipped off and told them to call real cops. Then I would have asked the real cops to tell them to stop harassing me.

And yours too if you're paying him. I am definitely not one to back down though, and like others have said, most people will defer to you once you make it clear that you know your stuff. This is very dependent on the situation though- being twenty, I'm sure I have a tougher time of it than some of you respectable looking "adults." Doesn't change the legality though.

Just remember the most important thing when in situations like this:
Never swear
Be polite
Don't shout

:) manners help diffuse the situation more than legal rights and paper

Most reactions

Back