I've been looking for clubs like you suggested, there isn't much to choose from but I'll check into the only local one I've found.
:thumbup:
I'm also looking for courses but there seems to be a large number of 'colleges' that provide courses etc.
Meh, if you have enough drive and determination, you can learn on your own with books from the library. Combine that with feedback from friends you make in the local club.

You also need to look at books on composition, and not just geared towards photography. Look for books geared to art in general. Look for books on graphic design, painting, illustration, etc... this will give you some well rounded information. Look at tons of books about photographers and their work, look at images on Flickr, take what you learn and spot the elements of design and composition. Learn what makes an image successful, and where they fail.
I'm a bit unsure of what qualifications are going to help me, when in the end all I need is know-how and experience (technically you can still take good photo's without either of those.. lol)
The qualifications that are going to help you would be:
A decent understanding proper exposure and how to play with it to achieve creative exposure.
Basic control of and how to use light, in various forms.
A basic understanding of composition.
That is the "know-how". Being able to show you understand the basics should open some doors. The terms 'experience' I used relative to using the camera rather than in the field. Although when breaking into a career field there is always that catch 22 of "you can't get your first job without experience, and you can't get expirience with your first job." But here you are learning a skill you can show, so....
I disagree that "technically you can still take good photo's without either of those."