I took a class in High School that was taught by the industrial arts teacher. He was a very good instructor and got everyone interested in his subjects. During the photography section of the class he had a heart attack. Everyone wanted to prove to him that we had done well with the substitute, and we paid extra attention to who was brought in. Lucky for the students, the substitute teacher was a professional photographer who turned the entire class around into something amazing.
fast forward 8 years, the substitute teacher found me on facebook and sent me a message out of the blue asking how I've been. After a bit of chit chat I asked him if I could tag along on some of his shoots (senior pictures and lots of weddings mainly).
Long story short, some people LOVE to teach. Even if that's not their profession they like to share and enjoy people who share their enthusiasm. As mentioned previously, let them know what you're capable of and what you want and you might be surprised with their willingness to help.