Asking a Question for a Friend

makenottake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My friend took these pics recently. I'm not sure what kind of camera she has but it's film, not digital. They all came out super grainy, but she said thought her ISO was 160. Would that ISO cause this much grain?

Sorry if they're really big. I took them from her facebook because I don't want to put them on my Photobucket since they're not my pictures. Thanks for any answers as to what caused the grain. I don't know any of her other settings, and neither does she since she was just goofing around.

Last edited:
Grain can be a result of exposure...or more likely an attempt to fix exposure problems. It can also be a result of scanning or a problem thereof.

For example, if the shots are severely underexposed, the lab would probably try to pull as much detail out of them as they could (or they might just let the machine do it's thing in auto mode). Either way, the likely result is a lot of noise in the images.
Tell your friend to look at the negatives to see if they really are underexposed that much.

TPF's ToS states that you can't post images without the rights to do so. But...eh...I suppose you've been given permission if your friend asked you to ask here.

Anyway, they look terribly underexposed. If the film was pushed during developing to bring it even close to proper exposure, it's going to bring out more grain.

The pix seem way underexposed. Modern color negative films will show distinctly more grain when underexposed. In many cases the difference in grain between a properly exposed image and one that is 3-4 stops under exposed, as these seem to be, can be substantial.

If she set the ISO correctly, I would suggest that the meter battery be checked.

Thanks so much everyone! I'll pass your advice and tips along to my friend.

MusicaleCA: i did have her permission to post these here, but I do plan on taking them down just because they're her photos, not mine.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Most reactions

Back