Aspiring photographer: Help me get started!

bmilcs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

My name's Bryan and I am a photographer wanna-be. I've done as much as I can with my iPhone 4s and my cardboard lightbox :). With a budget of $300, I would love suggestions with purchasing my first real camera - one where I can adjust aperture, shutter speed, and the like.

Currently, I use my iPhone 4s and my mother's Nikon which allows you to change light exposure, but nothing else (aperture, depth of field, etc --- the good stuff). I have limited to zero knowledge on the subject.

Help me find a solid starter camera - one that will allow me to take great photos / better than what I currently take, and for under $300. I'll worry about fancy lenses, etc. later.

Here are some examples of my exemplary (LOL) work:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I am a complete noob and haven't had a chance to read through the forums for suggestions. If you could point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.

Bryan, welcome to the site. This is a great place to learn. The photo's are not showing up for me, so I cannot see your work.

As for your budget of $300. This is somewhat low if you are looking at working with dslr camera's. That being said, the fancy lenses have as much (if not more) to do with taking good quality pictures as the camera body does.

Most people on here will probably steer you to the Nikon 3100 and a kit lens, and there is nothing wrong with them. Look at the used section at B&H Photo or Adorama to see if there is any in your price range. Also, look for used gear at your local photo shops if you have any.

As for your budget of $300. This is somewhat low if you are looking at working with dslr camera's. That being said, the fancy lenses have as much (if not more) to do with taking good quality pictures as the camera body does.
After a point: I agree; but I don't assert that's universal.

I think the OP is dead on in where he needs to be working. He needs to work to learn how to manually set a camera. He also really needs to work with light (which he seems to be trying to do).

To get control of ISO, Shutter, and even F; he's going to need a camera that supports those functions. That's not restricted to SLRs, but SLR's certainly do the trick. If he does want to play with good glass, and assuming his budget stays low, he's likely to need to play with old glass. That means Nikon, Canon, or Pentax. (there are some decent Nikon lenses from the 70s that are like $30).

Also: SLR's have the longest contiguous hitory of lenses.

Though there is a trap on the Nikon side to be wary of. *really* old Nikon lenses don't fit on modern bodies unless you take a dremmel to them; and even reasonably modern Nikon glass can rely on a mechanical auto-focus from the camera, which lower-end bodies don't have.

With those caveats in mind, the Nikon remains an excellent camera, IMO, in his situation. A Canon would also be a good choice (which only has lenses back to '87, but which has full compatibility through the range)

Buy an older DSLR+18-55mm type kit lens off ebay. Nikon D70, Canon 10D etc.. very cheap these days; less than $300.

JerryLove said:
Though there is a trap on the Nikon side to be wary of. *really* old Nikon lenses don't fit on modern bodies unless you take a dremmel to them; and even reasonably modern Nikon glass can rely on a mechanical auto-focus from the camera, which lower-end bodies don't have.

This statement is somewhat in error: in FACT, as in actual FACT, the "baby Nikon" bodies in the D3000 and D5000 series (plus the D40, D40x, and D60) can use ANY and ALL* Nikon F-mount lenses, with ZERO modifications, as they came, direct from the factory in the pre-AI era of 1959-1976. That means the "baby Nikon bodies" can and DO accept pre-Ai manual focus lenses, with NO need to remove any metal. (* the rare, collectible invasive fisheye Nikkor lenses being the exception: those very few lenses protrude INTO the camera body, and demand a camera that has a mirror lock-up switch to be used.)

So, for the experimenter, or the low-low budget shooter who wants to buy those $59-$99 "pre-AI" manual focusing used lenses from KEH.com, a "baby Nikon" is a good camera for those old lenses.

But it is TRUE: the "baby Nikon" bodies D40,D40x,D60,D3000-series, and D5000-series ALL LACK the in-body autofocusing motor that the AF-Nikkor and AF-D Nikkor lenses need for automatic focusing.

KEH.com often has a few very low-low priced used Nikon camera bodies for sale.

[This statement is somewhat in error: in FACT, as in actual FACT, the "baby Nikon" bodies in the D3000 and D5000 series (plus the D40, D40x, and D60) can use ANY and ALL* Nikon F-mount lenses, with ZERO modifications, as they came, direct from the factory in the pre-AI era of 1959-1976. That means the "baby Nikon bodies" can and DO accept pre-Ai manual focus lenses, with NO need to remove any metal. (* the rare, collectible invasive fisheye Nikkor lenses being the exception: those very few lenses protrude INTO the camera body, and demand a camera that has a mirror lock-up switch to be used.)
So the manufacturer is wrong and you are right?

"Nikkor-Q, -P other non-AI lenses were designed long before digital cameras and cannot be used on any D-SLR or late model film SLR, with the exception of the new Df." - https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14439/~/can-i-use-my-lens-from-my-old-camera-on-a-new-digital-slr%3F

Bryan, skip any bridge cameras or compacts with manual control; go straight to getting a digital SLR - single lens reflex camera, and a kit lens.

[This statement is somewhat in error: in FACT, as in actual FACT, the "baby Nikon" bodies in the D3000 and D5000 series (plus the D40, D40x, and D60) can use ANY and ALL* Nikon F-mount lenses, with ZERO modifications, as they came, direct from the factory in the pre-AI era of 1959-1976. That means the "baby Nikon bodies" can and DO accept pre-Ai manual focus lenses, with NO need to remove any metal. (* the rare, collectible invasive fisheye Nikkor lenses being the exception: those very few lenses protrude INTO the camera body, and demand a camera that has a mirror lock-up switch to be used.)

"Nikkor-Q, -P other non-AI lenses were designed long before digital cameras and cannot be used on any D-SLR or late model film SLR, with the exception of the new Df." - https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14439/~/can-i-use-my-lens-from-my-old-camera-on-a-new-digital-slr%3F

Yes, JerryLove, the information you are parroting is flat-out WRONG.

There is NO NEED to remove ANY metal from the aperture ring on pre-Ai lenses when using the Nikon D40,D40x,D60,or D3000- series or D5000-series bodies.

here, read up on Nikon lens compatibility and various Nikon bodies.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

and also Nikon SLR Camera and Lens Compatibility

Nikkor Lens Information by Thom Hogan

I MYSELF have used pre-AI lenses on the Nikon D40. The Nikon support article you referenced is in fact, IN ERROR. Of course, Nikon would love for its customers to buy ALL-NEW lenses, but the removal of both the AI-indexing tab AND the elimination of the minimum aperture sensing tab on the "baby Nikon" bodies means that the Q-series, and other early Nikkor FIT RIGHT ONTO the baby Nikons with absolutely NO issues, except no light metering. Again, the Nikon web blurb is, in fact, DEAD wrong.Wrong,wrong,wrong. I have NO idea what 20-year old web intern typed out that B.S. answer on the Nikon web pages, but it is a WILDLY inaccurate bit of typing.

Definitely shop used/refurb. You will get so much more for your money. Make sure you check Cameta as they offer a free 1 year warranty.

Yes, JerryLove, the information you are parroting is flat-out WRONG.

There is NO NEED to remove ANY metal from the aperture ring on pre-Ai lenses when using the Nikon D40,D40x,D60,or D3000- series or D5000-series bodies.

here, read up on Nikon lens compatibility and various Nikon bodies.

Nikon Lens Compatibility
OK.

"These lenses today can mount just fine on today's cameras if you first have them converted to AI by a machine shop" - http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikortek.htm#f

OK:
NIKON DSLR Pre-AI
D5000 NO!

It goes like that through all the modern DSLR's listing them as "NO!" compatability with pre-AI lenses.

OK:
" These lenses are dangerous on current Nikon bodies. With the exception of a modified F5 or F6"
"If you find that you have one of these lenses and want to use it on a current camera, you must have the lens converted to AI first. "

So Nikon and every site you listed says you cannot use pre-AI lenses, except F5 and F6, and even then only after modification, and even then (per your last site) only on some bodies. Perhaps if you use more ALL CAPS and terms like "parroting" you will be come more correct? :(

My 2 cents. Having just been through the complete newb stage, I can say that it was very handy having a well-used camera (Canon or Nikon mainly) because I could find all kinds of information about it. Is this compatible, is that compatible, how do I find this switch?

Last edited:
Hello and thanks guys for the quick responses.

I am at work and don't have the time to thoroughly look through the responses yet.

However, I was PM'ed by a fellow member offering his Nikon D5000 at a reasonable price - exactly within my budget. I don't have the link.

Would this be a good starting place?

$x02.jpg$x03.jpg$x01.jpg$x04.jpg

Here are the photos I originally posted. They are from a wetshaving forum that I frequent.. frequently :). Anyhow, they were done with an iPhone 4s. I do a lot of ebay and would love to experience some real photography.

Thanks again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back