At-Home studio

nerdyD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What would I need to have a portrait type studio at home as far as lighting goes? Do I need the whole soft box+umbrellas+slave+flood etc sets? Or would something like a couple of umbrella lights do the trick? I don't need anything too fancy just yet - I'll basically be transitioning from a desk lamp that got me 'decent' pictures (I'll have to post all of the ghetto lighting setups I've done - anywhere from book light to flash light to desk lamp).

Also, would I need anything special with electrical or could I just plug everything directly into a wall or strip?

Well you can start here http://strobist.blogspot.com/ and learn to shoot well lit images with realtively cheap flashes instead of studio strobes.

Yeah, I just got finished with that website (lighting 101 section that is), and ordered a few things that it told me to. It helps to look at things in whole new ways, and know differences in different types of lighting. Since I already had 2 flashes, my order of umbrellas, clamps, a lightstand, brackets, etc only cost me about $150. That's probably the most 'bang-for-the-buck" I'll be getting (along with my 50mm f/1.8)

Most reactions

Back